Chapter Thirty-Two| Opening Ceremony

Jonathan

"Hey Mary Kate, where is my tie" I yell out. I was getting ready for the red carpet prior to the banner raising tonight and seemed to be a hot mess. "In the bathroom" she calls back and low and behold there it sat. I tie it around my neck loosely before fixing my sleeves and looking into the mirror. Lookin' sharp. I walk back out to see Mary Kate in a full length red dress that hugged every curve and muscle on her body. "How do you do it" I ask and she raises a eyebrow. "Do what" she wonders. "Manage to take my breath away every... single... day" I say. She tucks a piece of hair behind her ear and reveals a blush forming in her cheeks. She doesn't take compliments very often but I think I've worn her down. "That's sweet of you to say Jonathan" she replies with a spine tingling smile and I feel my knees go weak. "Come here" I demand and she walks straight into my arms. She was warm and smelled good like she always did. She fixes my tie as I let my hands fall to her waist. "I love this tie" she says tightening it to the right spot. "I love you" I respond scooting her closer to me. "Don't you start" she warns as the space between us disappears. "I have absolutely no clue as to what you're talking about" I tease and she rolls her eyes. I rub my my thumb across her jawline and she leans into my touch. "Why do you love me" she whispers, almost as if she didn't want to ask. "Because from the very first day you took the time to understand me. You've always asked questions and helped me remember the best parts of hockey. It's like you're constantly dreaming, always have your head in the clouds so you can't see just how great you are. And I love that about you because it just gives me more chances to remind you how amazing you really are. There's a never ending list of reasons why I love you, but what I love most is how you always know what to say. You took a terrible thing and turned it into something beautiful and now I get to watch you chase your dreams" I say and I catch a tear as it slips. I press my lips to hers and felt all her feelings. "Thank you, Jon" she says softly and I shake my head. "No... thank you".

We arrive at the UC and I head to the players while Mary Kate goes with the coaches. "Damn Jon, sharp suit" Shaw says brushing off my shoulder. "Thanks, Mary Kate got it for me and somehow she got it in the perfect size" I laugh messing with the cuffs. "Woah" he says letting out a huge breath and I see everyone staring at me. "What, is there something on my face" I ask trying to find my phone. "No Captain Oblivious... her" Shaw says pointing behind me. I turn around to see Mary Kate making her way towards me and a smile becomes plastered on my face. "You forgot your phone in my handbag" she says handing my phone to me. So that's where that went. "You know what this reminds me of" I ask. "No, what" she wonders. "When we met each other in New York and you brought my jacket to my hotel" I laugh. "Oh yeah, but this time you didn't leave your phone on purpose" she says and I raise my eyebrow at her. "You knew the whole time" I ask and she nods. "Yeah, I thought it was cute. Plus it lead to something pretty great" she says. "And here I was thinking I was smooth" I joke. We talk a little bit more and she leaves to go back to the coaches. "Wait, you're telling me that was Mary Kate" Crow asks with a group of guys nodding their head along with him. "Yeah, that was her" I say slowly. "Holy shit she's a head turner" Crow adds and I give him a glare. "Sorry... but she is. The only time we see her is during practice when she's in work cloths or at games where she's, again, in work cloths. But now you can see her abs and arm muscles and ass" he trails off. "Watch it Corey" I warn and he throws his hands up. "Hey, I'm just saying, she's real easy on the eyes. Guys are going to notice" he reminds me. "I know. But if I catch anyone here doing something I don't like with her I will not hesitate to kick all your asses" I warn pointing in their general direction.

We walk the red carpet and all change then warm up on the ice. "Good to be back in the good old UC, eh Jonny" Seabs asks me. "That it is my good man, you ready" I asks and he nods. "Always ready" he smiles. I've always been a fan of Seabrook. When I was a rookie he was the one I would go to, he's hilarious and always knows the best places to eat on the road. Plus his hair is real nice. He might not be as flashy as Duncs or as insane as Hammer, but he's a real solid defenseman and we owe a lot of the teams success to him. We watch the banner raise and I had chills the whole time. The victory video was pretty nice too and I loved the song choice, a lot of good memories but as soon as the puck drops that's all behind us. Today starts the mark of the new season and we haven't done anything just yet. With all the talk about the Olympics it's hard to focus but we knew the ultimate goal and wasn't going to let loose any time soon. We weren't expecting the start we had last year, that's impractical. But we still want to do good.

"That was awesome" Vanessa cheers after the game. She got to go to her first NHL game tonight and I think she liked it. "You looked great out there Pat" she giggles and he blushes. They both really liked each other but neither one of them wanted to make a move yet. It's weird to see Pat be cautious around a girl but refreshing none-the-less. "Thanks V" he says and she nods. We all head home and chill out on the couch to relax after a nice win. Mary Kate has her legs over my lap and Pat sat with his arm around Vanessa with her leaning into him. I wish they would just get together already. Eventually Mary Kate and I go to bed leaving pat and Vanessa on the couch with hopes that something will happen. "Why won't they just fuck already" she groans falling into the bed. She takes her long hair down and it flies every which way. "Such the lady" I joke taking off my shirt and joining her in bed. "The guys thought you looked real nice tonight" I say and she turns over to face me. "That's nice" she says. "Yeah, maybe for you" I mumble and she scrunched her nose. "Are you jealous" she asks and I shrug. "Kinda" I respond honestly. A lot of guys are attracted to her and that isn't her fault, I just hate the thought of her with someone else. "And how do you think I feel dating the great Jonathan Toews. Literally everyone loves you, guys are honored when you punch them in the face. I listen to girls gush over you every day of my life and I hold my tongue because no matter how upset I get I know you're not some item I own. Those are their feeling and who can blame them, you're a really great guy, people should get to know you. I will never tell a girl not to get to fall all over you because I think she'll pull a move on you. I trust you" she says running her fingers through my hair. "I trust you too. But the way I look at you, you're always the most beautiful person in the room. And tonight all the guys saw it too and I panicked. I know at the end of the night it's me you're coming home with, I'm just not good at relationships" I admit. "You're going to have these feelings, just remember that no matter what I'll chose you" she says placing a kiss on my lips. Her kisses were so gentle yet so passionate. "So are you saying that if a girl threw herself at me you wouldn't do anything" I tease. "I would most defiantly beat her ass, but not because I don't trust you. I know you would try to send her the message nicely and take yourself away from the situation. So I would help her get the message by kicking her ass" she shrugs. "God I love you" I laugh. "I love you most".