Chapter Fifty-One| Chances

Mary Kate

There's thirty NHL teams in the league. Six original teams from the twenties. One dynasty in the making. When I put on the Indian head I can't help to think about the people who put on the same Indian head sweatshirt as the one that now sits across my chest too. The greats like Mikita and Hull. Roenick and Larmer. This storied organization has created some of the greatest to ever play the game, and the numbers of Hossa and Kane and Toews will one day hang in the raptors of the united center amongst the others. Maybe they'll even get a statue too. That's a lot to say for a team such as this one. Nearly 90 years old and is atop the professional hockey business again. Through all the drama and problems, I'm still proud to wear this jersey. The deep red filled with pride of the ones who believed in this team longer than anyone. The tomahawks on the shoulder represent the strength of the players who fought to bring Chicago a championship. The Indian head that always took center place on the jerseys of Hawks players. It's a honor to wear this jersey, to embrace its rich history and feel a connection to the greats who wore it before me. There's not better feeling than slipping it over your head and look down to see that face. I get chills every time I put it on, I respect the game so much and I have to thank this organization for much of the things I've come to love today. Now it's my turn to represent the Indian head, show what Chicago pride means to the people and how this team has built quite possibly the best and most dominate establishment in professional sports in this day and age. Only 20 people dress for a game, but there's millions of people on this team. Fans can wear the same jerseys we wear and feel the same presence the players feel. It's a unique feeling, one that can't be duplicated or paid for. No matter the name on the back of the jersey it has nothing compared to the graphic on the front. It's so much more than just a jersey and so much more than just a game.

As the 2014-2015 regular season comes to a close we end up in third in the division again but finished much stronger than a year before. Even better news is that Patrick is released for the playoffs and I might even get to play with him some. "Look at you over achieving and shit" I say sending a pass his way. He's spent a lot of time at the Fletcher Foundation so I basically saw him all the time still. "Hey, the only reason I'm here on the ice is because of your charity and the great people there who worked with me" he claims passing the puck back. "How do you feel. And you better not lie to me so help me God I will tackle you right now" I threaten. "I feel great... I really do" he smiles and I nod. I was hoping he said that. We finish up the morning skate before taking on the Preds in Nashville for the first round of the playoffs. This would be Pats first game back since getting hurt and I might have been more excited than him. If you want to be the best you play with the best, and very few, if any, are better than Patrick in his own right.

The start of the game is important in any sport. For teams such as the Blackhawks, it doesn't matter as much because this team always finds a way to win, but it's a lot easier if you don't give up three goals in the first period. Crow looked very uncomfortable and the defense wasn't doing much to help him. During the first intermission we all knew Crow wasn't going to be in goal when we go back out there. It's very rare that a team has one elite goalie, but I think you can argue that this team has two. Darling is no sleeper, he's a starting goalie at heart and uses his large frame to his advantage. To start the second I'm put with Jonny and Hossa on the top line and make the most of it. A minute forty three in I send a pass to Jonny who throws it back to Hammer. He rockets the puck at the net and it flies past Rinne. We all go to Nik to congratulate him and plan to keep it going. Going back to the bench we hype the boys up and get them going. Honestly that was all they needed. Darling stood tall stoping every shot he sees that game and the lines make up some ground. Late in the second we get a power play and I go out with Jonny and Pat looking to tie things up. We cycle the puck and look for any opening. I remember when my dad told me to never stay in one place, always keep moving and draw defenders, make them think you got the hot hand then pass to the guy you just opened up. Patrick places a pass right one my tape and I move up the left wing towards the net bringing two defenders with me and Jonny is left alone in the front. I sauce a pass over a stick and Jonny taps the puck into the net tying the game. "Lets fucking go" Patrick screams as we meet in the middle the ice. "Beautiful fucking pass babe" Jonny says patting my helmet and I had to laugh. The way he talks to me and the way he talks to the boys are so different and when he tries to put them together... it's so funny.

The game goes into over time because is it really a Blackhawks post season game without at least two over times? This time Duncs takes matters into his own hands and puts the puck in the net and I would call this a great come from behind win. "Okay... I guess overtime isn't that bad" I joke skating up to Duncs while everyone celebrated. "It isn't when you win" he comments, he had a point. We all skate off and Jonny gives Duncan the game belt for game one and he decides to share with Darling because he stoped all 36 shots he saw. Everyone goes to the shower and I stay back for obvious reasons. As I wait for them to finish I get time for everything to set in. I just won a play off game, I'm actually playing for the best trophy in all of sports. Sometimes when I look into the stands I swear I can still see my family there, cheering me on like they always did. But looking into those stands, no matter where we are, there's always a solid numbers of Blackhawks fans that was like a extended family. The fans are so great and I think it's about time we bring back a trophy.