Chapter Fifty-Three| Duck Hunting

Mary Kate

The series against Anaheim is tied at two games a piece and the games aren't getting any easier. Physically I feel fine but mentally I'm exhausted. There's been a lot of checking and a lot of high speed action. During game five my line jumps over the boards and Jonny picks up the puck in our zone then heads towards the net. As we get through the neutral zone he sends me a pass and tried to catch up with me until Ryan Getzlaf lays him out and his head hits the ice hard. He didn't have the puck and he wasn't paying attention to Getzlaf coming up behind him because players aren't supposed to do that. I told myself I wasn't going to fight in this league because these guys wouldn't cut me any slack. I also told myself that I'm a part of this team now and will defend them until I'm out cold. Jonny gets up really wobbly and stubbles to the bench with help from Hossa. The whistle blows and I knew I had to take care of this myself. "Come on princess, lets see what you got" Ryan calls out shaking off his gloves as I skate up to him. "That's ice queen to you" I grumble before landing a blow on his jaw causing his helmet to fly off. We scrap for a little and I end up on top of him not really giving him a chance to hit back, that is until the linesmen pulls me off. "This league is no place for women" he yells and I roll my eyes. "This league is no place for cheap shot, weak skating, shit heads like you and you know it. Learn how to play like a real hockey player and maybe you won't get your ass handed to you by a girl" I scream back as they put me in the box. They take a TV time out while I sat in hockey time out seething quietly to myself. The door opens and I see Shaw with the biggest grin in his face. "That was fucking awesome" he says putting his hand out for me to fist bump. I knock his glove and he messes with my hair. "Alright alright, I don't want to have to untangle my hair tonight. Just make sure Jonny is okay for me" I say and he nods before skating away.

The game ends with a loss in over time but I was more concerned about Jon. When I get to the locker room he sat there in street cloths and ice on his neck. "Are you okay" I ask softly running my fingers trough his hair. "Yeah, I have to sit the next game but I should be fine" he says and I nod. Injuries are never fun, but especially when they're a hundred percent preventable. "Hate that bitch" I mutter replaying what happened in my head. "Nice hit by the way, Patrick showed me the video. I thought it was Shaw until I saw your hair" he laughs. "Hey, you're not just my fiancé. You're my teammate too and I got your back" I say nudging him. "Thanks for that, I would have done it myself if I could see where the hell I was going" he laughs. "Lets get you home to rest" I say helping him up and into the car.

We win the next game without Jonny then head to a game seven at the UC. Jonny was excited to be back and I missed being on a line with him. But I have to admit that I love playing with Pat. He's a special type of player and it's hard not to just sit and watch him while you're out on the ice with him. We take the ice for warm ups and I see Jonny's parents in the stands, Bryan was wearing my jersey and Andrée was wearing Jonny's jersey. I wave at them and they happily wave back. There's usually one game that defines a season, and this was one. Everyone was on their A game and flying up and down the ice. Minimal shots ever reached Corey and even fewer go in. We weren't about to lose this game, we always knew that. But the whole UC felt our confidence and the place was rocking from puck drop. In one of the more less dramatic game sevens Jonny has two goals and I had a goal and a assist in a 5-2 win against the ducks. In the end they were too tired to compete and it seemed like we just hit the gas. We move on to take on the lightning in the final and was feeling good about it. "See, that wasn't too hard" Jonny jokes as we meet in the middle of the ice after the game. "Speak for yourself, this series was exhausting" I respond all too seriously. "That's a pretty nice trophy" I say pointing to the one Jonathan left on the table. "Yeah, I got a better one in mind" he says with a smirk. "Yeah, this ring is nice but two is better" I comment playing with the engagement ring I wore even though I wasn't supposed to. "I wouldn't mind a third one" he shrugs and I roll my eyes. "You ready to make some more history" I ask sticking my hand out. He grabs it and quickly laces his fingers through mine. "Lets make one more dream come true he says with a smile. We skate off to talk to his parents before going home and trying to rest our tired bodies.