Chapter Fifty-Six| Do You Believe In Miracles?

Jonathan

We move the last box into our new house and I find Mary Kate in the kitchen already cooking. "Wow, we've been living here for five minutes and you already want to make food" I laugh. "You better watch it Captain Sassy Pants, or no protein shake for you" she warns pointing her finger at me. "Okay... lets not do anything rash" I say slowing walking towards her with my hands in front of me like I was holding her off. "Just... turn off the blender and no one gets hurt" I say slowly and she starts to giggle. "Back away slowly" I instruct as I get even closer. Once I get close enough I throw her over my shoulder and run around the empty house we bought. I jump across the couch and down the hall and back. Just galloping around with her bent over my shoulder. "You're so weird" she screams as I dart around the house. I set her down and we both catch our breath. "You know how you always say you're bad at relationships" she says looking into my eyes. "Yeah" I respond fixing my hair. "I don't think you were ever bad at it. Not a second that we've been together have I thought that. When you messed up you just threw that out there because you were scared to make a mistake. But mistakes are just proof that you're trying. They're good for you" she tells me. "I'm not good with making mistakes let alone accepting them" I admit. "I get that. You're an athlete, success is on your brain. But sometimes your heart is louder than your brain and that scares you" she explains. I take a second to let that set in and it actually makes a lot of sense. "Emotions aren't my thing, I'll admit to that. But with you everything is a jumble. All I want is to make you happy, nothing else matters. And you make me feel so... I can't even explain it. I could receive the worst news in the world and as long as I can get through it with you I don't even care" I say starting to get flustered. She grabs my face and pulls me back to reality with her piercing blue eyes. "That's love Jonny. You were never bad at relationships, you were falling in love" she says causing me to smile. "The heart wants what the heart wants" I say and she kisses my cheek. "Alright. Lets get some food then get set up" she says and I join her in the kitchen. I stand along side her and I couldn't help but looking over my shoulder and watching her work. The simplest things seemed like it could be the best moment of my life. I never know what she will say or do next, maybe that's why I was so entranced by her. She kept me on my toes and always met my passions equally. It was addicting.

After getting boxes unbroken down and everything in them set up for the most part we decided to watch a movie. Mary Kate picks Miracle and I don't argue. She cuddles up to my side and I wrap my arms around her. We watch the movie with her knowing most of the words and saying them with the movie. You would think she wrote it or something. "So, you like this movie" I joke as it draws to a close. "Yeah, I might have seen it a few times" she laughs. The movie finishes but she doesn't move. The song Dream On by Aerosmith starts playing along with the credits and I see tears form in her eyes. "Every time I watched this movie with my parents my dad would ask me and my sister if we believed in miracles, and of course we said we did. We were just little girls after all, we believed in everything. But my dad told me the real miracle was that no matter what people thought about that team, they went about training like they weren't the underdogs. You could tell them a thousand times that they wouldn't beat that Russian team, but they knew they could. They never acted like they were supposed to lose, it's a lot like how I made it to the NHL. But this song, I've probably heard it a million times. It's what I would listen to before a game, while I worked out, in physical therapy. The screaming is a bit much for me, but the message is clear. 'You gotta lose to know how to win', it sucks but it's true" she shrugs. I watch her as she stares at the screen letting her walls down. In no way was Mary Kate secretive, but only at the randomest times was she okay with opening up about her past. Up until the parade I was the only one she ever opened up to. I know this is hard for her and I am happy she was finally telling her story because it was a great one. I place a long kiss on her lips and she seemed a bit shocked. "What was that for" she whispers. "Remember when we first started dating and you told me that sometimes words won't fix something. That actions say everything words can't. I know nothing I say will take back the pain you endured, so I want to make you feel good now" I say and she smiles. "In that case" she smiles climbing into my lap and cupping my face before kissing me passionately. Not what I was expecting but very welcomed.

I go outside to the porch which was covered in plants. I'm a planter now. It was actually a part of a act I was trying to pass to eat healthier but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't do it anyway. "Wow, I hope you look at me like that when we get married" Mary Kate says and I had to laugh. "Yes, like a sexy and feisty tomato plant" I joke. "Hey, you better watch how you talk about that plant, I'll cut it" she warns and I just about lose it. "You're crazy, come here" I say pulling her into a hug. "So, were getting married soon" she says causing me to smile. "We are, are you going to use my last name for the Hawks next year" I ask. "I don't know, people might think I'm your sister" she says with a stale face. "Right, maybe both names" I suggest. "Yeah, I like that" she admits. We stand there quietly and she helps me tend to my plants. "Do you want kids" I wonder and she looks up. "I do, not yet though. I literally just joined the NHL, but I'm sure Hossa wants me to stop coming over" she laughs. She loved Zoja. "I can wait, I'll wait forever for you" I admit. "Well I'm yours in a few days" she says wrapping her arms around my neck and placing a soft kiss on my lips. "Can't wait" I say before connecting out lips again.