Chapter Forty| Not Meant To Be

Jonathan

I don't know if it's just us that has a problem with going into over time in so many games in the post season or if everyone seems to play more than three periods nearly every game but I swear theses games will never end. We lose the first two games in over time to St. Louis but crank out four wins in a row and defeat them in the first round of the playoffs. It wasn't easy but in the post season a win is a win, regardless of how or when it happens. Next round was the Wild and they have had very little post season success against us. They're a newer team and always seem to find us in the post season but that's not saying much. We've never lost a series to them and this year the same story reigns true as we beat them is six games. Patrick always seems to have his way with them, then again he lives for big games such as these ones. Once again we find ourselves in the western conference finals for the second year in a row up against a high paced LA Kings team.

For the past few years it's been the Hawks and Kings atop the ladder of top teams in the national hockey league. When these two teams face each other it's high passed and physical. In a lot of ways the teams were very similar. Both teams focus on solid defense and explosive offense. Naturally a duel between the two goes down to a game seven at the United Center. And of course the game goes into over time because why would we make this easy on ourselves. The crowd was nervous and could you blame them? The Mad House on Maddison seemed to become a furious one as the night goes by.

Some thing just aren't meant to be, and it seemed as if we weren't going to be able to repeat as champions as the Kings score in over time and ending our path for yet another Stanley cup. It was a weak goal but as I said earlier it doesn't matter how goals are scored in the post season, point is that they're going for their second title in three years and we're staying home. It was a great series, no one can doubt that. That's why it was that much harder to let this one go. Being so close but it just wasn't for us I guess. Saying that doesn't make me feel better but it will help me when I decide it's time to move on. "Hi" someone says and I turn to see Mary Kate there standing sheepishly. I had already taken my shower and did interviews. "Hi" I say back and crack a smile. It's really hard to be upset with her around. What makes this really hard is that if we won I was going to purpose to her on the ice and now I can't do that. I'm still going to do it, I just have to find another way. "I know you had interviews and reallly needed to take a shower. But I couldn't go another moment without telling you that you're an amazing player and a even better person. It's going to suck right now but I promise a team like this doesn't stay down when it gets knocked down. You guys are still a great team and to me you're the best player in the world, I love you" she says before kissing my cheek and disappearing in the hallway. I open my bag and take out the the ring and open the box. "So what are you going to do now" Patrick asks sitting next to me. There was nothing I wanted to do more than chase her down the hallway and put a ring on it, but she deserved better than that. "I think I'm going to respect her wishes and travel. Wherever she wants to go, that's where we're going" I protest and he grows a smile. "Go get your girl Jon."