Chapter 26 - More Birthday and Other Things

Frankie

The bell for the oven chimes and I walk inside the kitchen and pull the coconut cake out of the oven. I prepped a peach cobbler and put it in the oven also. I check the pot roast and it's coming along just fine. I start to make the icing to put on the cake when Amy comes strolling into the kitchen.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm making the icing for Uncle Dylan's birthday cake," I show her the bowl.

"What kind of cake are you making?"

"A coconut cake. Have you ever had that before?" I ask.

She shakes her head, "Never. Is it good?"

I put a little on a spoon and give it to her. She takes the spoon and sticks out her small tongue and touches it to the frosting. Her tongue disappears back into her mouth and I can see her moving it around inside tasting the frosting. She looks at me and nods her head as she puts the spoon in her mouth, eating the rest. "I like this. It's good. Does the whole cake taste like this?"

"It does. When your uncle gets home and we have dinner, then you can have a piece, okay?"

"Okay. When will they get home?"

"I don't know, but I hope dinner is ready by then. Are you hungry?" I put the finished icing on the cake.

"A little, but I can wait for dinner. My mom says that we are going to the science center after dinner, right?" She's starting to look excited.

"Yep. It will be my first time going there. Will you show me around?" I sprinkle coconut shavings on top of the frosting. When I'm finished, I take the bowl and spoon over to the sink and start washing it.

"I will, I've been there lots of time. Uncle Dylan says it's one of his favorite places. Does he know that we're going?"

"He doesn't. We're going to surprise him after dinner, so don't tell him, okay?"

"Okay," she wanders out of the kitchen and I finish cleaning the bowl and spoon and clean up the kitchen the rest of the way. I note the time and go upstairs to my room, so I can do my hair. I want to add some curls at the end to make it look nice for him. For all of the guys really.

I heat up the curling iron and pull out the hair spray. I pull my hair out of the ponytail holder and comb it down. I look at the purple at the ends and wonder if I should have it cut off or just have it touched up. I flip it under and look in the mirror to see how it would look. It's been such a long time since I've had it all one color, that I don't think I would recognize myself if I didn't have it.

I shrug and start curling the ends since the iron is ready. The bigger barrel works well on my hair and about thirty minutes later, I have large ringlets on the end of my hair. I hope the guys like it.

I make my way back down to the kitchen and pull out the peach cobbler right before the oven bell dings. I put it on the counter to cool and then get the dishes out and set the dining room table. I put the finishing touches on the table and then go back into the living room and look around.

Cameron has fallen asleep on the couch and the girls must have gone upstairs because they are nowhere to be seen. I grab a book and settle into one of the big chairs and start reading.

I'm absorbed into my book until the oven bell dings. I reluctantly put down my book and go into the kitchen, pulling the roast out of the oven. I sit it on top of the stove to rest. I turn off the oven hoping that Rand and Dylan arrive soon.