Chapter 36 - That Son of a...

Frankie

I come awake slowly and notice that it's light outside. I move a little and it hurts so badly. I look around and realize that I'm in a hospital room with my guys around me and then last night comes back to me. My breath hitches when I try to breathe deeply and I try to moan quietly.  All of my guys are up in an instant.

"Sweetie are you okay?" Cameron grabs my hand.

I nod and whisper, "I think so."

"I'm going to get the doctor," Dylan immediately rises from his chair and leaves the room.

"He's blaming himself," Rand tells me. I try to move again and flinch at the pain. I stop moving because it hurts to do anything.

The doctor walks in with Dylan following. He checks me over and tells us that I have a couple of cracked ribs and quite a few bruises and cuts. He's going to prescribe me a painkiller and I will need to stay home for at least three weeks, due to it'll take up to six weeks to heal. During that time, it'll be hard to breathe or do anything, but it will heal. He also gives me some cream for the bruising. They want to monitor me for a few more hours and then they'll send me home. According to the doctor, I'll be home for dinner.

As soon as the doctor walks out, Rian walks inside and rushes over to me. "I'm so glad to see you. I was so worried. Are you okay?"

"She's fine, she has a couple of broken ribs so until the medicine takes hold, she will be in a lot of pain. Thank you for getting the campus police," Cameron says.

"What else was I going to do? Leave her with that madman?" She turns back to me, "I'm just glad that you're okay. I'll let the teacher know and get your homework, okay?"

I nod. Rand gives her my telephone number, then she leaves. The police arrive next and take my statement. They take pictures of me and get my permission to get the doctor's report. When they leave, the doctor comes back in and gives me a shot of pain reliever. I immediately feel better and go to sleep.

When I wake up next, Dylan is the only one who's awake. He's looking at me with regret in his eyes.

"This isn't your fault," I whisper, "I'm glad that you came when you did and saved me. I don't know what would have happened if you didn't."

"But-"

"No buts. This isn't your fault. It was his fault. It's always his fault. I just want him to stay away from me," I say a little stronger this time.

"Who was that sweetie?" I glance over and Rand and Cameron are awake.

I try to adjust myself in the bed through my pain and Dylan jumps up to help. He doesn't know where to touch me to help me, so he strokes my hair.

When I get myself comfortable, I tell them, "That is my father."

Rand

WTF? I thought he put her out. "Why is he here?"

"He saw my billboards and felt that I should give him the money that I made. He tried to force me to do it. I'm glad that Dylan arrived when he did. Only God knows what he would have done to me if he hadn't," she wipes the tears from her eyes then flinches at the movement.

"But I didn't get there in time," Dylan says.

"Actually you did. If you had beat him up before the Campus police arrived, then he would have tried to sue you for battery even though he beat me up first. He would have gotten you into trouble and possibly expelled from school. He's an ass, but he's a smart ass. This isn't over yet, not by a long shot. Just be prepared for his next move." She lays back in the bed and reaches for Dylan's hand. He grabs it gratefully and holds on tight.

The doctor releases her a couple of hours later and we take her home and get her into bed. We don't sleep with her because we don't want to hurt her ribs any more than they already are.

Of course this whole thing makes her wake up, screaming from her nightmares in the middle of the night. Then crying because she's in pain. Dylan gets into bed with her and stays awake with just his hand on her while she sleeps.

I really want to make her father pay, but we have to sit back and be prepared for his next move.

Two weeks later, he makes it. He's suing Frankie for Fifty-thousanddollars.