Chapter 3 Meeting the Guys

Frankie

I walk out of my advisor's office with a new cellphone, laptop and a look of wonder on my face. My advisor called me to his office and advised me that since I have a full scholarship, it includes a cellphone and a laptop. When I asked why a cellphone, I was advised that since the only telephone number that they have for me was to my dorm room, they feel that I need the phone for emergency's when I'm out by myself.

I put in the one telephone number that I do have. Rand's.

I go back and forth talking to myself about calling him. I turn on the phone and go the one contact that I have in there and press it, only to lose my nerve and hang up. I run out of time when I have to go into class and tell myself that I will definitely call him later.

I start to look for a seat when I hear him call my name. I look up and he waves me over. When I reach him, he pats the seat beside him, "I saved a seat for you."

I sit down, putting my backpack down and getting my things out of it to prepare for class.

"Do we have every class together?" I ask.

"All but one. Don't you remember me telling you the day before yesterday that we have all but one class together?" He says.

"You probably did." I shrug. "What class don't we have together?"

"English three hundred. It's an advanced class and I have regular English. You must be very smart!" I cringe at the compliment. I don't know what to do with it. It's never happened to me before.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I nod, "I'm fine."

"It's a compliment. Just say thank you," He coaxes.

"Thank you," I repeat in a small voice.

He puts his hand on mine. "It's okay." He starts to say more when the teacher starts class.

I take notes and wonder why I feel so comfortable with him. He made friends with me during orientation, and I took to him right away. I never talk to anyone, even at my old school. There were some teachers and my bosses who looked out for me. I don't even feel this comfortable with the counselor that my teacher referred me to three years ago.

I don't usually like it when people touch me and he has held my hand and touched me numerous times and it didn't make my skin crawl. Maybe I'll call my counselor tonight since I have a cellphone now.

Class ends and we put our things away. "Since you are coming over on Saturday, we can work on our homework for this class also. Does that work for you?"

I nod, "It does, but I will be working on it until then, so don't be surprised if I'm already done with it by Saturday."

He smiles, "No problem. We can compare notes then. What are you doing until our next class?"

"I'm going to the library to study." I respond.

"Why don't you come to lunch with me? My treat." He asks.

I consider it for a second. I can study while we eat. "Okay. Where are we going?"

"There's a little café right off of campus that I love. I'm sure you'll like it also."

"How far away is it?" I ask. I don't know if I want to ride with him in a car.

"It's within walking distance. We'll have time to eat and do a little studying, before going to our next class. Is that okay?" He studies me.