Chapter 29

I settled Sophia and Conner into their kid’s high chairs and then sat down at the café table. I crossed my legs and looked at my mother who sat across from me.

We both sat in silence and stared at each other waiting for the other to say something. “You called me for this meeting, what is this about?” My mom shifted in her chair and then took a sip of her water.

“I wanted to come here and get you to apologize to me.” I honestly had no time for her crap. I rolled my eyes and sat back in my chair.

“Why am I apologizing to you? I’ve done nothing wrong.”

“You’re with that man. And now since you’re divorcing him, I want you to apologize to me for not listening.” I simply grabbed my purse and stood up, getting Sophia and Conner set in their stroller.

“Mom, if you don’t stop being like this, you will lose me and your grandchildren. He is my husband and I am not divorcing him.” I walked out of the café and into the street and took a deep breath, holding back my tears.

I love my mother so much, but she is so close minded and stubborn. She wants me to live how she wants me to live, and I can’t do it anymore. It’s time to get my life in order and for that to happen, I need to close one more open wound.

I decided on walking over to Holli’s house because I needed to clear my mind with the crisp wind. It looked overcast and I knew rain was coming, but it was still refreshing.

The white house with red shutters and a blue door came into sight and my heart started to pound. Would Holli be angry at me? Would she still want to be my friend?

I’d realized that none of this was her fault and I refused to allow the sick mind of one individual affect my relationships with others. Holli is not Ron, nor will she ever be.

I knocked on the door and took a deep breath. The hard steps told me that someone as coming to the door, most likely a male’s footsteps. The door opened and I stared into the clear, concerned eyes of my brother.

“Micah.” I walked from behind the stroller and literally jumped into my brother’s arms. I wrapped my legs around his waist and buried my face into the crook of his neck.

“I was so scared, Chase.” He shushed me and tightened his grip on my shaking body. The tears that I held in flowed freely from my eyes and I broke down in my brother’s arms. There was a level of protection that only an older brother could provide and I reveled in it. I didn’t have to be strong for him.

I was just his baby sister who needed comforting.

I slid out of his grip and wiped my eyes. His eyes were glassy and I reached up and kissed his cheek. “It’s okay, Chase. I’m okay, now. I love you.”

“I love you too, Micah.” I straightened my shirt and turned to my two kids who stared at me with wide inquisitive looks. They were too smart.

“Micah.” I tensed then turned to look at Holli who was standing in the hallway behind Chase in only shorts and one of his shirts.