Chapter 4 - Butterflies

Chapter 4 – Butterflies

From the moment that I had woken up the next morning, I couldn't get Will off of my brain, which had me wondering if I'd dreamt of him, despite note being able to remember. And every time that I'd thought of him that day, I would get those stupid niggling little butterflies that had made me constantly giddy.

It was now Wednesday and I had a late morning tutorial, followed by a lecture after lunch, which I was expecting to see both Will and Joel at. The thought of seeing both of them in the same lecture played on my mind and caused my stomach to twist up into a whirl of knots. I wasn't sure who I would choose to sit next to when I walked into the theatre, and I wasn't so sure why on Earth it had mattered so much. So I decided to make sure that I would be early to avoid any challenges to my rationality. Decision making was certainly not one of my strong points.

The day was turning out to be fairly tedious. I didn't know many people in the tutorial and I didn't bump into anyone during lunch. I eventually made my way toward the theatre about fifteen minutes before it was scheduled to start. I opened the door, and noted that there were only about ten other people already seated, particularly observing that thankfully neither Will nor Joel were there. I choose a seat right up the back left hand corner, and luckily those fifteen lonesome minutes had passed pretty quickly. The theatre was nearing on full, when the lecturer had finally made an appearance.

My mind was invariably overwhelmed with images of Will. I just couldn't stop thinking about him and about what had happened just last night; how he'd almost kissed me. I had no idea what I would say to him today or how I would act around him for that matter.

"Hey gorgeous." My heart suddenly jumped as a voice broke my daydream. I snapped my head around to the right to see Joel taking a seat next to me, maintaining a beautiful dimpled smile.

"Oh, hey, how's it going?" I replied, my heart ever so slightly beginning to sink. It wasn't that I was disappointed to see Joel; it was more that I was anticipating seeing Will there. The thought of Will startling me unprepared made me exceedingly restless.

The lecture dragged pretty badly, and I had completely zoned out for most of it as I usually did, thoughts of Will still playing on my mind. Where was he by the way? He was meant to have this lecture with me, but he was nowhere to be seen. I could have sworn that I had subconsciously scanned the theatre about ten times in hope of spotting him.

Joel could tell that something was playing on my mind, that I was slightly disappointed about something, as I didn't say much during class. I felt his eyes discretely side glancing at me, numerous times, clearly having become concerned about it. The lecture finally finished, and I stood up to grab my bag.

"What's wrong Miranda? You look a bit, distracted?" He asked grabbing my arm gently, reading me like an open book.

"Nothing, I, um, just a little tired. I'm gonna head home now, can't wait to get some sleep." I replied with a definite tone of disappointment, slumping my shoulders to emphasise my point. "Sorry to be such a drag Joel, but I'll see you tomorrow. I think we have another tute together?" I implied, attempting to lighten the mood whilst hanging my bag over my shoulder and ready to walk out.

"Yeah, sure, no worries Miranda. See you tomorrow." He replied using that heart-warming, butterfly-producing, dimpled smile of his. It had only if just for a split second, made me adjust Will to the back of my mind.

The second I walked through the door of my apartment, I dumped my bag on the kitchen bench top and slumped myself onto the couch. Which by the way, still smelt of that alluring cologne that Will had me so drawn to...