Chapter 42 - Surprised

Chapter 42 - Surprised

“Geez, don’t look so disappointed to see me!” Summer said, launching herself at me to give me a hug.

“Hey Sum, how are ya?” I replied reluctantly while returning the hug, cringing at the thought of the moment when she’d realise who was lying there on my lounge room floor, looking all flustered and...oh god. She was going to assume the worst and I knew it.

“What’s wrong? You look like you’ve just been caught red handed!” She said, slowly turning in Ash’s direction. She froze when her gaze met his. He quickly smiled and waved a small innocent wave, before slowing standing up. Summer’s mouth dropped open and she turned to face me, a slight smirk forming on her lips. She smiled at me and turned back to Ash to smile at him.

“Ohhh, I get it...sorry for interrupting!” She chirped, playfully nudging me in the arm. Ok, so she only seemed to find this amusing, which was a bit of a relief. But I couldn’t have her thinking that something had happened between the two of us!

“No! Sum, it’s not like that, we were just...” I trailed off having been interrupted.

“We were just studying. Miranda’s been feeling a bit under the weather, she’s missed a few classes and I’m helping her catch up. I was just leaving, anyway.” He said, going to grab his phone, wallet and keys from the coffee table, which I hadn’t even noticed he’d put there. He walked over to us smiling.

“Seeya.” He said one last time, before exiting through the door. I smiled back at him, feeling a little bit bad that he felt he had to leave.

“Seeya babe, was nice to see you again!” Summer chirped, being her usual bubbly self, and not affected by the thought that something may have been going on between her best friend and a guy that she used to like and hooked up with only a month ago. To me it was wrong to ever go after a friends ex, something that you just don’t do. Although, a month was quite a long time, anything could have happened in that space of time, and from what I’d heard, she’d already moved on.

She closed the door behind him and turned to smirk at me. “So, you and Ash hey?” She asked, causing my cheeks to flush a slight shade of red.

“No! Sum I already told you, it’s nothing like that. He’s just helping me catch up with my work, seriously. And you can talk! I thought something was going on between the two of you? What happened?” I asked, trying to convince not only her, but perhaps myself, that there was nothing more than friendship going on between the two of us.

“Ok, whatever you say Miranda...and I dunno. I kind of just, well, couldn’t stop thinking about someone else.” She said smiling, going to slump down onto the couch while grabbing the remote and flicking through the channels. I then felt a vibe that the pizza was here, and no more than a few seconds later there was a knock. I grabbed my purse and headed for the door. I greeted the kind of cute looking pizza boy and went to hand over the money, before he stopped me.

“Already paid for. Your boyfriend down the bottom of the stairs took care of it.” He said, flashing me a slight smile before turning to leave.