Chapter 34 - Doubt

Chapter 34 - Doubt

As we approached the front doors to Will's mansion, someone had frantically swung them open before we even had a chance to climb the steps. It was Beth and Jacob standing there looking rather concerned yet relieved, probably having realised that I was missing, along with their car.

I was hesitant to walk up the stairs, moving rather sheepishly, as if ready to be scolded for what I'd done, so I was surprised when grandma had rushed up the stairs in front of me to greet them. They exchanged warm greetings and hugs, as I trailed on behind, throwing them the most apologetic expression that I could possibly come up with.

Beth just took me in her arms and squeezed me as if I were her own child. "Thank goodness you're ok. Please, come in, we have some serious talking to do." She told the both of us as I embraced to be told off, closing the door behind us and leading us into the same room which I had crept into the night that I had first stayed here, the night that I'd met Jacob.

"Miranda you look exhausted, you should probably head upstairs to bed. We can talk in the morning. And don't think that you're getting off lightly with the whole car thing." Beth told me with some seriousness and some warmth in her tone. I just smirked like a cheeky little kid who thought that they were getting away with something mischievous, gave my grandma one last hug, and headed for the door. Just as I was about to leave, my thoughts suddenly flew straight to Will - where was he?

I turned around to ask this exact question, not caring about how desperate I looked. "Um, where's Will?" I said, looking in between Beth and Jacob.

"He's gone out looking for you, you might want to call him and tell him to come back so he doesn't spend the next 24 hours worrying." Jacob told me with a slight bit of...annoyance? I felt so guilty right then and turned so fast to exit the room before they caught a glimpse of my brightly flushing face, ashamed of my reckless behaviour. Would Will seriously keep looking until he'd found me?

I scurried up the stairs to my room, and closed the door behind me. I pulled my phone out and sat on the bed, searching through my contacts until I found his name. Just as I went to press it, the sound of someone's throat clearing from behind me had scared the crap out of me, that I dropped my phone to the floor and spun around to defensively face the source of the noise.

To no real surprise, none other than Will was standing there, arms folded, looking angry, and staring intensely into my eyes. "What the hell where you thinking Miranda?" He asked, clearly frustrated.

"I...I...you-" I stuttered, having been cut right off.

"Do you even realise that you could have been killed?! I've spent the rest of the day worrying about it, wondering where the heck you are, then I find my car gone! I tracked your scent and it led me straight to your apartment, but nothing. No one was there, except the evidence of a struggle. Do you know how sick that made me feel?!" He practically shouted at me.

I felt kind of bad but I was also pretty pissed at him still. How could he stand there and pretend to care after the amount of times he'd rejected me?! "Why do you care all of a sudden Will?! I thought that we were going nowhere, that I wasn't worth all of this to you." I threw back at him.

He just stood there, studying me, beginning to make me feel nervous. His sapphire eyes were boring into mine, and I felt those stupid butterflies again. Why did he have to do this to me, even when he was shouting at me and making me feel like crap?! His expression had suddenly changed from 'pissed' to 'sympathetic' in a matter of seconds, probably having noticed just how fragile I had looked at that moment.

Then out of nowhere, he'd flittered right up in front of me, practically in about the time it had taken me to blink. It had startled me and caused my heart beat to pick up dramatically, and my face to blush bright red, having been affected by his proximity, as per usual. He lifted both of his hands up and cupped my cheeks, staring directly into my eyes, as I become lost, mesmerised, consumed there under his hold.