Chapter 2 - Awkward

Chapter 2 – Awkward

The sound of my alarm startled me. I snapped my eyes open, breaking out in an intense cold sweat, desperately trying to catch my breath back, trying to piece together where I was and what had just happened.

After minutes of slowly merging back into reality, I finally concluded that I was safe, in my bed, despite feeling extremely groggy. Yet again, I was haunted by the exact same evocative dream that I'd had just yesterday morning on my grandma's couch.

I was completely rattled. I never ever remembered my dreams. Yet in the space of twenty-four hours I'd woken up to a very intimate, enthralling, realistic dream, twice now. It had made me feel a whirl of emotions inside, stemming from my intrigue towards this dangerously alluring man; a man that I knew nothing about. Except the fact that I felt powerfully drawn to him, desperation like none other than I had ever experienced before. Perhaps it was just my nerves getting the better of me? I forced myself to stop pondering over my delusions, I needed to get up.

It was about 7:00am and it was dangerously nearing the time to start preparing for the sugar-coated college life. Yes, college. The very thought of it intimidated me.

I had an Organic Chemistry lecture at 9:00am. I had two whole hours to shower, choose something to wear, do my make-up and hair, have breakfast, and leave the house in time to walk down to the college and find the right class room. And being the perfectionist that I am, all of this would take far longer than the average person.

I made myself a strong cup of coffee and gulped it down as fast as I could, before heading straight to the shower. I undressed and let the hot liquid caress my tender muscles and back, probably from all of the moving of yesterday. The next mission was to shampoo and condition my long honey-blond wavy locks, which could sometimes take forever. Washing my hair was a bit of a task but I'd decided that being the first day of college, I wanted to put in a little bit more of an effort.

I stepped out and dried myself, only to catch a glimpse of my vulnerable reflection in the mirror. I had peculiarly bright green-blue aqua coloured eyes, a colour that I didn't see too often on people. They appeared to be much brighter today, glowing almost, but I'd put it down to the exceptionally bright morning sunshine flooding in from the window. I was a fairly self-conscious person, but my eyes were something I'd never minded about myself. I'd often get random compliments about them when I used to work at the supermarket. Yeah they were a little freaky looking, but I can't deny that it didn't boost my confidence if just a little.

After drying off and making my way to my closet, I threw on my dark blue high-waisted skinny jeans, an off the shoulder grey knit, and a pair of tan-brown sandals. The spring weather outside was mild today, quite overcast but still a little warm. My hair didn't need much more than a light blow dry, letting it hang long and wavy. I applied a relatively heavy layer of mascara onto my naturally long and curled lashes, which highlighted my bright eyes even more. A bit of foundation and blush, and I was ready to get going.

I quickly gulped down a banana, grabbed my stuff, and headed straight for the door. It took under ten minutes to walk to campus, quicker than I'd expected. Especially with my abnormally fast nervous pace, probably looking like a crazed zombie. Sometimes I did wonder how I managed to always walk, and run for that matter, faster than your average person – another little talent of mine. It was freakishly superhuman at times.

I reached the map at the entrance of the main building, and searched for room H20. This meant building H, and room twenty, which was on the ground floor. I made my way there, and as I approached the door, I hesitated. I felt a sudden nervousness which came with the presence of someone behind me. Someone that my vibes felt for some unknown reason was mysteriously significant to me. I could hear them approaching behind me then so it didn't startle me when they spoke.