Chapter 20 - Fear

Chapter 20 - Fear

I could see one figure, lying on the pavement, and blood pooling out from his form. The other was stood there above him, facing him, all tensed and breathing heavily. It appeared as though the figure standing had been the cause of the seemingly lifeless body lying in front of them. As I sensed the danger I began to back away. The man who stood there, staring at the apparently lifeless body lying in front of him, immediately sensed my presence and snapped his head around to face me. He was wearing a hood which still shadowed his features, so I still couldn’t quite make out his face.

“Miranda! Miranda, wait!” He screamed, his voice still unrecognisable.

All I knew was that I felt so much pain in the pit of my stomach. I felt loss, fear, anger; I especially felt that I had to escape the murderous scene that lay in front of my eyes. I turned so fast that everything was blurred for a moment, and began sprinting down the path which had led to the ocean. I now knew what I had to do.

I had to do it. I had to do... something. I still didn’t understand what had just happened or what I had to do, but I knew that I had to do something.

I kept running, regardless of the fact that I was choking on the oxygen that I so desperately was trying to engulf into my lungs. As I was sprinting I could hear the man following on after me, calling things out to me that I couldn’t quite make out. All I knew was that I had to keep running, away from his threatening self. I could finally see the water, approaching the snow white sand, and continued to run until I had almost breathlessly reached the coast line. And that’s when I fell to my knees, becoming overtaken and overwhelmed with all of the emotional pain that I was in, letting the tears fall hysterically from my eyes.

Everything around me started to fade then. It was fading into black, into nothing...then I opened my eyes and I was back in the bedroom, Will’s bedroom. Will suddenly caught my eye; he was sitting at the end of the bed, just staring at me with so much pain and concern plastered across that beautiful face of his, needing, and wanting so badly to come and comfort me, yet something was holding him back.

I could feel the wetness on my face, triggering me to realise that I’d had the dream again, and in the presence of Will, as usual. “Will, do you know why you’re always here when I have these nightmares?” I choked out, still trying to push away the agonising emotions which were now slowly subsiding inside of me. He paused for a moment before answering, as if trying to gather the correct thoughts first.

“I think it’s because of what we are Miranda; you being a witch, with stronger brain power than most humans. Your body can sense the predator. You can sense that I’m near you, and it must put some sort of physical stress on your body, triggering your premonitions. Almost like a defence mechanism, a natural warning.”

Oh. Why was Will so smart? Why did he have to have an answer for just about everything, even if I didn’t really want one? That was the last thing that I wanted to hear. I liked Will overwhelmingly and now my body was telling me that he was too much of a threat?

“But Will, I know that’s not how I feel about you. I feel the complete opposite really. If anything, you help the stress to disappear.” I finished meekly, realising the emotions revealed from that mere statement. He began to slowly move closer towards me, and I was finding it difficult to hold back. “And why do you have to stay away from me? Why do you care so much about that? No one has to know every aspect of our personal lives, that’s exclusively our own business...” I trailed off, realising what I was saying, searching his face for some sort of answer. I had basically just given away the fact that I so desperately craved for him, which made me feel incredibly anxious.