Chapter 31 - Passion

The pain in my head was becoming even more and more intense now as the seconds melted into minutes. Time seemed to have been going by but to me it felt like an eternity. I could have sworn that my head was literally about to explode, and I hadn’t realised it before but I think I was screaming at the top of my lungs. I couldn’t hear a thing though, there was an eerie silence in amongst the blurry chaos that seemed to be happening all around me.

 And then I started to make out some images, in my mind. They began appearing, almost similar to the time when Will had showed me his memories of Sebastian and Annaliese. There was a face, staring right into mine, a face, a blury, vivid face, and it was...it was...Joel. It was Joel in my mind, staring right at me?!

“Miranda. Please, Miranda, listen to me. You need to escape, you need to escape now. You are not safe. Miranda...” His voice was very distant, but I could only just make it out. Was this a dream? A premonition? Or perhaps an invasion?! Was Joel entering my mind?!

“Joel?! What the heck?! Are you entering my mind?! Is this real?! Joel!” I screamed out to him, but he appeared to be fading right into the distance, away from me.

“Yes Miranda, I’ve reached your mind, please listen to me, you need to leave...” He called out, merely just a distant echo now. And then he was gone. And so was the pain. Just like that – it was gone. I snapped my eyes open to check that I hadn’t died.

“Miranda?! Can you hear me?!” Will was frantically shouting right in front of my face, all sound suddenly flooding back in, whilst shaking my shoulders.

“Will, stop! I’m ok now...” I breathlessly shouted back, a little startled by his panic. But that didn’t wipe the concerned look off of his face.

“What the hell just happened Miranda?! Are you sure you’re ok? You’re completely pale and out of breath.” He asked, complete and utter concern written all over his face, and radiating from his tone.

“I...I’m not sure...” I hesitated, unsure of whether to mention Joel, having interrupted an intimate moment between Will and I, when he’d finally admitted how much he cared about me and was finally going to give in. But I needed to tell him; what had just happened to me I guess I’d consider it as a threat. Not only did I have Sebastian after my blood, as well as the possibility of an entire vampire race, I also had Joel, who was desperately trying to kidnap me from the vampires, tyring to win over my heart. I didn’t want to see him though, even though I’m sure that I cared about him, but just not in the same way that I cared about Will.

“Miranda you need to tell me. This could be important, I need to know whether to take you to the hospital or not.” He pleaded with pure seriousness.

“It was...it was a telepathic connection, I’m pretty sure...I-I think it was...Joel. I think he’d gotten into my mind. He was trying to tell me...something.” I told him, hesitating at the last bit. Joel was trying to warm me, I was pretty sure. Something inside of me, my vibes I was certain, were telling me that I wasn’t in danger right now. I was sure that Joel was just concerned because of his brainwashed opinion on vampires. But then I realised – did this mean that Joel knew where I was? I still needed to keep my defences up, just in case Joel was right and I was in danger. I couldn’t possibly believe that Will would actually intend to hurt me though, but I thought it be best not to mention to him of Joel’s little warning.