Chapter 15 - Confused

I was running. Running so fast that my legs could barely keep up and I thought I'd fall face first into the sand. My legs were beginning to ache, and I was struggling to catch my breath. All I wanted to do was escape, to get away from...something. Something that I wasn't even sure of, something that had caused me to feel a tremendous amount of emotional pain, heartache, confusion, guilt, fear; every single debilitating emotion that you could possibly envisage.

I'd finally reached the shore line, facing out into the wondrous incessant aqua blue ocean, shimmering right back at me. I felt it; the water, it was inside of me, it was beginning to become a part of me, inside of my mind, pictures of the water, the waves...

And then I collapsed. My emotions were forcing my legs to buckle beneath me. I couldn't take it any longer. I couldn't take the pain and I didn't have the energy to hold myself up anymore. I was crying now, hysterically, almost desperate for the tears to somehow bring about some kind of emotional relief to the heart wrenching pain that I was in. But they didn't. Nothing could make it go away, nothing could change whatever it was that had done this to me.

"Miranda! Miranda!" His voice snapped me back to reality. I stood up, and turned to face the source of the voice. The second I had laid my eyes on him, I was completely taken aback. I was far from prepared to face the man that had now stood before me.

"Miranda, please, look what you are doing, please don't do this, please!" He yelled at me, pleading as if I were un-fazed by his words. His grassy green eyes shone so bright in the sun, and I was still trying to understand why Joel was now standing there before me. I was expecting someone else to be standing there, and I could not even begin to imagine why it was now Joel.

Joel was distressfully eyeing off the wave that hovered behind me, and I turned to confirm my suspicions that it was there, hovering so high in the air that it almost blocked out the sun above us.

I felt the wave then; it was a part of me, and I was controlling it, holding it there.

I freaked at that moment, realising what I was doing. What on earth was I going to do with the wave? Why was it built up so high, so close, so intimidating? It held so much power; I held so much power. I realised that I could wipe out an entire city in the blink of an eye, from a single momentary decision. But why? Why was I doing this?

I wanted answers, I wanted to know why on earth I was put here in this familiar horrifying scene, why I kept finding myself back in this moment. Why this time, it was slightly different.

And then it all started to fade - no, NO! Please, please don't fade! I needed to find out what this all meant!

I gasped in for air so hard that it had made me choke, and the second that I was snapped back to reality I'd realised that my face was soaking wet once again, and Will had his arms wrapped around me once more, soothingly stroking my hair to try to calm me down.

"Shhh Miranda, it's ok. You're back now." He whispered, and the instant that I heard his comforting voice, I melted inside, and merged softly back into his embrace as he was still lying there behind me. I wriggled my body around in his arms, to face him front on. He just stared at me, with so much sympathy and passion.

"This is killing me, to see you in pain like this. I feel so helpless." He whispered, intensely staring into my eyes. I paused for a moment, a realisation hitting me. I'd pondered over the fact that I'd only ever have the nightmare in his presence...

"Will, why do you think it is, that I only seem to have these dreams when you're here?" I questioned with slight hesitation.

Something immediately washed over Will's face, almost as if he had just seen a ghost. His tanned features suddenly turned the most pale that I think I had ever seen them. He abruptly let go of the embrace and snapped up into a sitting position. I studied him for a moment, trying to figure out what he'd just realised. He then swallowed hard, and turned his head to study me, searching my eyes as if searching for an answer to something, an answer that I was pretty sure I didn't have.