Chapter 14 - Disbelief

Wait a minute. Will just told me that he was a vampire. And more importantly, that he cared about me! Ok, maybe the vampire bit was more important, but still.

I felt the butterflies threatening and then immediately diminish at the second a million questions popped up into my head. Where do I even begin?!

"Will, is this some sort of joke?" I frantically questioned, searching his eyes for some sort of a hint. But they looked so saddened, so ashamed, and adverting to the floor for a moment in avoidance.

"Miranda, look me in the eye." He demanded gently, and so I did. The second that I became lost in his intense gaze, I suddenly knew that I should trust him. I should believe what he was telling me. His eyes were so bright, so alluring, so beautiful, so mesmerising, so...

Then he looked away. At the exact moment that he did I started to grow anxious again. It was almost as if his eyes had relieved my nerves, convinced me...like every other time, when he'd tell me that everything was going to be ok, and I'd look into his enthralling eyes and instantly believe him...hold on. Did this have something to do with him being a...a...vampire? I could barely even say the word to myself.

"Will, what did you just do? Just now when I looked into your eyes? Did you just, like, convince me somehow?" I pondered, remembering the silly childhood stories I'd heard about vampires. About their mysterious 'powers'. Their ability to draw humans in as if they were prey. To be able to mesmerise their victims, as if they were under some sort of spell...

"I'm sorry Miranda. I didn't have a choice. And I need you to promise me now that everything I'm about to tell you, you must never repeat to anyone. Ever. Please promise me?" He begged with the most gorgeous, pleading expression. How on earth could I possibly refuse that? With or without his 'vampire powers' or whatever they were. I genuinely nodded.

"Then yes, it's part of being a, vampire. It's not magic, like in the movies. It's actually science. Evolution through mutation. Which probably explains why I'm studying Biotech. There's so much more for us to learn about the way we're built." So that was why he was always so efficient in class...

"I guess you could say we're like predators, and our advantage is that we're built to draw humans in. Everything about us; the way we look, our eyes, the sound of our voice. Even our scent and pheromones. Humans are instantly drawn to us."

I think that I was a little in shock. No sorry, excessively in shock. Did this mean that the only reason I couldn't stop thinking about him, the reason I had always longed to see him, the reason I was so attracted to him, was because of the way that he was built? As a predator?

"And it's vice versa for us with humans. Your scent is like an addiction. We can sense it from a mile away. Some more appealing than others. And with you, it's different. You're different to other humans. I'm not quite sure why yet but I can't keep away from you Miranda. At the same time, I don't want to put you in any kind of danger." He was now studying my face quite intently, as if on edge, waiting for my reaction.

So was this the only reason that he was attracted to me? For my blood? But not once had he ever even tried to bite me or anything, like in the movies...bite. Eww. The very thought of it had made me cringe, triggering numerous more questions to pop into my head.

"Will, how do you feed? Do you, um, like, k-kill people?" I stuttered with dread, swallowing the lump in my throat, flinching at my own words. I wasn't even sure that I wanted the answer to that question. He looked to the floor for a moment, took in a deep breath, then back to me.