Chapter 44 - Shaken

Chapter 44 – Shaken

I held onto my breath, trying to listen in on the intruder at my front door. I heard them shuffle in quietly, and gently click the door shut behind them. It was as if they had used force initially to open it, not meaning for it to slam in the way that it did. They then began to tip toe towards my room...oh crap. I felt my heart instantly speed up as I grew more anxious and flustered, the closer that they became.

It was clear that whoever it was, knew what they were after, and where to find it. Me. They were here for me. My adrenalin was getting the better of me and my hands began to shake, my legs starting to turn to jelly. This was it. I was either going to use all of the power that I knew deep down I contained, or be prepared to possibly face death.

The door knob began to slowly turn, and my eyes instantly widened. The door started to creek open, and I was so incredibly nervous that I wasn’t quite sure how to handle it. Right then the intruder had slowly began to reveal themselves from behind the door, and so I launched myself at them, shutting my eyes automatically, going in blind, and using all of the force that I had to wack them in the head with the trophy.

But clearly, it wasn’t enough. The intruder grabbed my arm which had launched at them, stopping my powerful attempt in its tracks, as if it were no effort to them whatsoever. This person clearly had strength, which could only mean one thing. I struggled for a bit, eyes still closed, almost afraid to open them and see who it was, until they had managed to swing me around and slam me right up against the back of my door, slamming it shut behind me. They pinned my arms to my sides against the door by my wrists, trophy still in hand, holding me there firmly.

“Miranda, calm down, open your eyes.” He whispered. The second that I heard his voice, I was so shaken that I froze. The initial panic had subsided, turning to shock, disbelief, realisation...and then I slowly began to open my eyes, as my heartbeat remained erratic, at the realisation of who I was sure that was standing there before me.

I made sure that my eyes were looking down towards the floor, and as I opened them, they were first fixated onto this man’s black Nike’s. They then worked their way up to see a pair of dark denim jeans, and a tight black t-shirt covering a set of clearly toned abs, wrapped up by a black leather jacket. Then finally, inevitably, ultimately, an overwhelmingly sexy rugged jaw line covered in what appeared to be about a week’s worth of stubble, working my way up to a pair of brightly glimmering sapphire coloured eyes, boring into mine. I also happened to see a bloodied cut and bruising spreading across the top of his right eyebrow, as if he’d recently been punched in the face.

“Will...” I whispered, unsure of how I was able to even let the word escape my lips, feeling as if the wind had been knocked out of me, not only physically, but also emotionally. I didn’t know whether to throw my arms around him and tell him how much I missed him and to never leave me again, or to slap him across the face and tell him what a bastard he was for breaking my heart. I just didn’t know how to react; I was far from prepared for this, even though I was wishing for it over the entire past few weeks.

He could read me like a book, I was sure, so he began to loosen the grip on my wrists, and let my arms fall to my sides. I had completely lost all control of them then, just letting them drop like a rag doll, the trophy falling to the floor. My jaw had also dropped, and I was probably gawking at him as if I’d just seen a ghost. But I have to say, it didn’t really feel too far from one. I drew in a large breath and tried my hardest to compose myself, frantically searching my mind for a solution, for the right way to react to this shock.