Chapter 17 - Realisation

Chapter 17 – Realisation

I opened my eyes to see that damned beach once again, shimmering right back at me. All of the overwhelming emotions came rushing through me once more, causing me to collapse on the sand, facing the water, balling my eyes out.

Why did it hurt so much? Why did it feel so real?

"Miranda! Miranda!!" I heard that familiar voice shout out to me. But before I had time to stand and spin around, I heard a beeping sound.

[BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.]

And then I snapped my eyes open to reveal that I was safely back in my bedroom. I could feel my face soaking wet, and instantly knew that I'd been crying again. The emotions began to subside and I looked at my phone.

Oh crap.

I'd slept through a good half an hour of my alarm, meaning that I was going to be late for class. But hold on - I'd had the nightmare again. Yet this time, Will wasn't there.

I thought it was strange. But I immediately brushed it off, realising that I had to hurry to get up and ready for another dreaded day of college.

I dragged myself out of bed, intending to make my way to the kitchen and make myself a cup of tea. I hesitated for a moment at the doorway, when I realised that my bedroom door was slightly ajar.

I could have sworn that I'd closed it behind me last night...

I didn't have time to ponder at that thought so I quickly jumped in the shower, dressed, and headed out of the door to face a lecture with Joel.

Joel - the sweet, happy-go-lucky, fun-loving, gorgeous guy that had spent the entire day with me yesterday, distracting me from my sorrows. But then I just naively realised that he was included on the list of dramas that were causing my sorrows. But I didn't care, I wanted to see Joel today, to help me to feel better, and I wanted to see him more than ever. Perhaps he could help distract me some more before having to face Will in the arvo lab practical.

I was running about ten minutes late, when I discretely opened the lecture theatre door and scanned the room to spot Joel, Ashton, Jordan and Lilly who were all sat about half way down the theatre. I quietly made my way down and sat next to Joel.

"Hey guys". I whispered, taking my seat and pulling out my notes.

"Hey gorgeous." Joel smiled back.

"Hey Miranda!" Ashton quietly chirped, and Jordan and Lilly both flashed me a brief smile before it instantly disappeared off of their faces and they continued focussing back on the lecturer rambling on. Those two were so odd...

"What happened this morning? Get caught up admiring your reflection, trying to figure out how to lure in all the boys again today?" Joel whispered cheekily into my ear. I couldn't help but giggle, and playfully wacked his arm in response.

We spent the majority of lecture giggling and drawing pictures like we always did, only to attract a few dirty glances from Lilly at Joel and I's closeness. I doubted that Joel had even taken in what I'd suggested to him about Lilly as a potential love interest. He didn't pay attention to her in the slightest, and I could see that it was only heightening her aggravation towards me.

Once class was over, I headed for the tutorial with Lilly, silently walking side by side. I was content at the fact that this time, she actually walked next to me. I guess that meant that perhaps our 'friendship' had progressed ever so slightly.

We sat down and I decided to break the ice, "So Lil, did you have a good weekend?" I questioned, realising that I hadn't seen her or the other guys in the lecture yesterday with Joel.