Chapter 16 - Distracted

I was startled by the sound of my phone alerting me to a text message. I slowly opened my eyes, realising that it was dark outside, and that I'd wasted my entire day asleep on the couch whilst attempting to watch day time soapies. It seemed that I was sleeping a hell of a lot lately. I put it down to the fact that I was just so exhausted and overwhelmed with everything that was happening in my life at present.

I picked up my phone and my heart jumped the moment that I saw Joel's name there on the screen.

'Hey Miranda, I just wanted to apologise for Thursday. I don't want to jeopardise our friendship so I'm hoping you can forgive me. Hope everything's ok, didn't see you in class today? J'.

His message was pretty sweet, and created a warm and fuzzy feeling inside of me. He really was such a genuine guy. I could now tick that item off of the impending list of issues that I was dreading to attempt. I had a vibe that things would go back to normal with Joel next week, making it just that slight bit easier to drag myself to college on Monday.

'Hey Joel. No dramas, sorry I had to leave so suddenly. Wasn't feeling the best today, but I'll see ya Monday :)'.

After I hit send, memories of the whole library incident with Joel came flashing back to me; when Joel had seen me kissing Will in the car park. I suddenly felt anxious again and decided that this item would have to regrettably remain on my list.

I decided I wasn't even going to think about the Will thing until the end of the weekend. I needed a boy free weekend, so I picked up the phone and dialled Summer.

"Hey Miranda!" She chirped, a little bit too loudly for my currently miserable and withdrawn state, making my ears ache.

"Hey Sum. So, what are you up to this weekend? Wanna go shopping tomorrow? Maybe see a movie?" I questioned, anticipating a yes.

"Yeah I'm awesome babe. Tomorrow sounds good! Hey guess what?! I'm going on a kind-of-date tonight with Ashton. He is so sweet Miranda, he's taking me out to dinner to some fancy restaurant." She replied enthusiastically, as she proceeded to go on and on about Ashton and her new found crush.

After chatting away with Summer and organising our girls day tomorrow, then watching some more TV, it was already 10:00pm and I was yet again ready to retreat to my forever and always trusty bed. Although it did occur to me that I'd spent probably a good percentage of the previous twenty-four hours asleep, I still knew that I would have no trouble at all falling into a deep, and hopefully dreamless slumber.

~

I woke Saturday morning thankful that the nightmare that had been regularly haunting my dreams, only seemingly when I was in the presence of Will, continued to stay buried deep down within my subconscious. For now, at least. I felt somewhat refreshed today and was looking forward to a day of the girly pleasures in life.

Summer had gotten to mine around 11:00am, and we spent about three to four hours down at the local discount factory direct mall. Shopping always seemed to cure whatever troubles I had in life. I'd always get a kick out of buying something new as it would give me a momentary adrenaline rush I suppose you could say, kind of like an addiction.

Summer and I chatted about Ashton mainly, and she'd probed me some more about Will and Joel, in which both cases I denied all truth to the matter. I just wasn't ready to tell her about Joel trying to kiss me; she'd totally judge me for turning him down. And how I'd been secretly seeing Will, who rejected me, and who was a freaking vampire. Well that was one thing that Summer would never find out about. I promised Will that I would never tell a living soul about it, and I highly doubted that even if I did say anything, anyone would actually believe me.