Chapter 45 - Attraction

"Hey, Ash, um, this is kinda awkward, don't you think?" I shyly questioned him, wriggling around again this time out of his embrace, and sitting up. I looked over at him and he looked a little disappointed and embarrassed. I suddenly felt guilty for being so abrupt.

"It's just, well, I dunno. We need to talk about this. About what's going on between us." I said while cringing inside, starting to feel a little bit of regret for even bringing this up. But I had to. I had clearly started to develop feelings for him that I seriously shouldn't have, and I was pretty sure that he had felt the same way too. But it was wrong. It was all totally wrong.

Will was back, and all of the feelings which came rushing back to me last night had proved that it was wrong. They had proved that Will was the one for me, the one that I truly loved, and I had to get him back if it was the last thing that I did. Although I must say that I was rightly pissed at him for just disappearing on me again, he seemed to have an irritating habit of it.

Ash took in a deep breath before breaking the awkward silence. "Miranda the last thing I want is for this to be awkward, and I'm sorry. It's just, well, since the day I met you I've always known we'd be awesome friends. I always thought you were stunning of course, too. But since spending all this time with you, it's been hard to hold back the way I feel about you. But the last thing I want to do is complicate the situation you're already in. So I completely understand if you don't feel the same way, I still want us to be friends though." He said, having completely just spilled his heart out to me.

He looked entirely heartbroken, and as soon as our eyes met, I melted inside. I felt incredibly guilty. I really was partly to blame, I did lead him on a number of times. "No, Ash, I do care about you, I do, and the time we've been spending together hasn't really helped. But you need to know that, well, Will's back. That's why I was so upset last night. He just rocked up, and he was finally about to confess his feelings for me when you turned up." I replied with tears beginning to sting my eyes at the thought of Will leaving again.

Ash suddenly looked quite ashamed, probably having realised that he ruined a moment between Will and I. "I'm so sorry Miranda, if I had known, I wouldn't have bothered to come around..." He told me as he stood up and began to search for his clothes.

"It's not your fault, please don't be sorry. I should be the one apologising for leading you on." I said as I slumped back down under the covers and buried myself into the pillow, facing the opposite direction. I was too ashamed to even face him.

I heard him let out a sigh, shuffle his clothes on, and make his way around to the other side of the bed so that he could see me. He took a seat and gently pulled the covers down to see my sorrowful face. He was smiling at me, ever so gently and genuinely, and it made my heart warm. He lifted a hand up to caress the back of my cheek with his fingers.

"Things won't change between us, I promise. If getting Will back means you will be happy, I'd be happy to help. And don't forget we have the whole Summer and Seb situation to deal with tonight. I've got all the info I needed, Sum told me where they're meeting and when tonight. Sort things out with Will and I'll be around here about five pm. We could probably use Will's help anyway." What he said had made me realise that he really was one of the sweetest people that I'd ever met. He'd just confessed his feelings for me, yet here he was encouraging me to get with someone else, and suggesting that he come join us tonight.

I looked up into his eyes and smiled. Despite the feelings I began to develop for him over the past week, which could have potentially ruined my getting back with Will, I still was very thankful that I'd gotten to know him and spend all of this time with him. I had now gained a really great friend out of it, one that would be happy for me no matter what, and one that would ensure that things wouldn't be awkward between us no matter what.