Chapter 7

Chloe's POV

I walked into Starbucks, the smell of coffee filling my nostrils. I'd cleaned myself up in the car, hoping I'd done enough to make it look as though I hadn't been crying. I made my way to the front and ordered myself a Grande Mango Passionfruit Juice, before finding a table next to the window and sitting down.

I took a sip of my drink and waited for Renee to arrive. I stared out the window, watching the business men and women walked past, busily talking on their phones. Pedestrians crossed the road, and cars honked their horns loudly. The city of London was definitely different to the city of Sydney. It was busier and it had a different sort of feel to it.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I pulled it out, thinking it was probably Renee telling me she was going to be a little later than she already was. I didn't mind, though. I needed to calm myself down a little more. I furrowed my eyebrows when I read the message, seeing it wasn't from Renee, but from an unknown number.

From: ***** *****

Chloe, we can't explain how sorry we are about Harry. He had absolutely no right to interrogate you the way he did, and talk about your parents in that manor. We want you to know that Christie wasn't anything special. She never did her job, she was always spending time in Harry's bedroom instead. This is why you were hired, and we didn't know the background story, until now, of course. I don't know what Simon told you, but this is truthfully the reason you were hired. We understand if you don't want to talk about it anymore, but we are apologising on behalf of Harry. He should feel bad, we hope he does. Take your time to relax and calm down. We'll see at home later.

Zayn. x

I smiled a little after I read the message, and saved his contact to my phone. I didn't know how he got my number, but I was glad he had it. When I read the message over again, I realised that Simon had told me a little white lie. He'd told me that the boys were always out and the house was extremely messy, and that was the reason why he asked me to become the maid (that and to get away from Karen). I didn't really care, though. I kind of loved the fact that the boys didn't really like the Christie chick. I guess it just made me feel a little more important. I texted Zayn back, thanking him for his kind words.

From: Chloe

Thankyou, Zayn. I won't be out too long. x

I put my phone away and took another sip of my drink. The door bell jingled as someone walked in, and I smiled once I saw it was Renee. She looked around the shop for me, soon spotting me and smiling.

"Hey," she smiled, sitting down in the chair across from me.

"Hi," I said, returning the smile.

"Are you okay?" She questioned, studying my face. I mentally cursed myself, realising I probably hadn't done a good enough job of cleaning myself up in the car.

"Uh, yeah," I assured her.

"You have dried tears on your cheeks, Chloe. What happened?" She asked, putting her bag down, her face full of concern.

"Why don't you order a drink and I'll tell you later?" I asked, smiling at her slightly. She nodded and picked up her purse, heading to the counter.

I hoped she wasn't a big fan of One Direction, because she would probably have a small heart attack if she found out I was living with them, and that Harry Styles had made me cry. I really didn't know how I was going to tell her that I lived when them. It was such a complicated situation, and I didn't have long enough to figure out what to say, because it only took a few minutes to order a drink.

Sure enough, Renee returned a few minutes later, drink in hand. Her face was full of concern as she sat down, and it warmed my heart knowing that she cared about my well being, even though we'd only met that very day. She sat down in her seat and looked at me intently.

"Okay, tell me everything," she said, placing her drink on the table in front of her.

I sighed, before letting out a breathy chuckle. "I really don't know how to tell you this."