Chapter 18

1774
Age: 18
Location: New York

"Hello, how can I be of assistance today?" Joey interlocked his fingers and had them resting on the glass counter. I looked back at Nicole and she nodded her head.

"Dudley and I have business to discuss, on the behalf of Hershel himself." Joey's eyes lit up and his lip quivered.

"Mr. Walker? Dudley haven't told me anything about this. A-are you sure?"

"Oh, we are very sure" Nicole chimed in. She had one hand on her hip, standing at an angle. "Go get Dudley why don't you. This very important" she finished. Joey tripped over his own two feet running to the back room.

"Was that too much?"

I shook my head. "Nope, it was just enough."

"What now?!" Dudley emerged from the back room and his face was instantly horror stricken. His cigarette fell from between his lips and he froze up. He's going to run. "Y-you idiot! They are not affiliated with Hershel. They are Assassins!"

Dudley didn't wait another second, he quickly took off in the opposite direction. "Don't let him escape! Flank him!" Nicole jetted through the front door, while I hopped over the counter in pursuit of Dudley.

He lead me on a wild goose chase through numerous backyards. Nicole was no where in sight, maybe she's going to cut him off soon. For a big guy, Dudley could move pretty quick.

He tried knocking over chicken cages and boxes to slow me down but I was hot on his heels. "I just want to have a word with you!"

"Save it Assassin! I know you're game, and I'm not playing it!" Dudley ran like his life depended on it, which it actually did. I was gaining ground and coming within arm's length.

I lunged for his coat, but my finger tips only grazed his end tail. I stumbled and the gap between us grew a few more feet.
"Damn" I muttered through clinched teeth. Nicole where are you? If you're going to cut him off, now will be a great time to intervene.

I continued chasing him and we were just about to exit an alley, into a very busy street. Horse carriages crowded the street going in both directions. "It's a dead end Dudley! Stop now and I might just let you live!"

"Is that so? Funny, I don't see it as such." What is he planning to do? Before he reached the opening, he unleashed a barrage of smoke bombs. I reacted fast and grabbed the lift. I sliced the bottom half of the rope and it shot me into the air.

I let go at the pinnacle of the lift and landed hard on the roof. I tucked and roll and a wobbled trying to regain my balance. The smokescreen hindered my eyesight. I feared I had lost sight of Dudley and I did just that. After the smoke cleared, he was no where to be found.

It was just the chatter filled streets of New York. I spotted Nicole jogging out of an alley as well. She looked left and right, but I'm guessing she lost him too. Nicole caught sight of me, but turned away.

I returned to our room back at the inn. I slammed the door behind me and threw my gloves on the ground. "SHIT!" I clinched my fist and gritted my teeth.

"It's fine, okay. We'll get him, don't worry" Nicole said in a calming tone. She rose from the bed and came to grab hold of my shoulder.

I threw my shoulder forward, causing her hand to drop. "There's no telling where the hell he is now!" I walked over to the window and slammed my fist on the pane. "This is the second time I let someone get away! It's just one mistake after another."