Chapter 6

~Homestead~
~Age 14~

     My body shivered from the chill of this year's winter. I brought my knees closer to my body and tightened my eyes. Nothing I did blocked the cool air from making its way into the room. I cursed under my breath and inspected the window.

It was closed tightly, not one little crack. I instantly started to regret sleeping without a shirt. What was I thinking? I flipped the thin blanket off and swung my feet to the side of the bed. I wiped my face with my hands, feeling a lit bit more energized.

There was a hard knock on the door.

"Yeah," I called out.

"Achilles is waiting outside in the carriage. Are you coming or what?" My brother's voice rang in my ears. I might as well go, I don't want to be here in this cold house by myself.

"Yeah give me a minute!" I stood up slowly as the sound of footsteps fainted out of earshot. After brushing my teeth and splashing warm water on my face, I put on our traditional Kanien tribe clothing. Then grabbed my bow, quiver, arrows, and weapons. You can never be too safe.

I was met by the harsh winter's breeze. Achilles looked over at me when I walked by him in utter silence. "So....where are we going?" I asked jumping into the carriage next to my brother.

"Ya!" The driver yelped. There was a whipping sound and the horses took off.

"We're going to the city. Achilles finally decided to try to fix the manor," Ratonhnhake:ton answered. I nodded my head and looked out of the small window. Green blurs whizzed past my eyes. I slumped in my seat and sat back to enjoy the ride.

~Boston~

Upon arriving in the city of Boston, I was in shock and awe. There were people everywhere. Doing many things, even in this freezing weather. Little children played around their parents, laughing without a care in the world. Dogs and cats fought within the alleys.

It was just so much going on all at once, I couldn't keep up. Strange men holding rifles and wearing matching red clothing marched together like a pack of wolves. Their face was expressionless and lifeless.

"Wow," my brother whispered. We exited the carriage spinning around in circles, admiring the city. A pretty lady walked by and we couldn't help but stare at her figure. I was snapped back into reality after being hit by Achilles's cane.

"You are not to stare, that's rude," he said. I scratched the back of my head and apologized for my actions.

"It's amazing! Everything is just incredible, I can walk on these streets for months and still wouldn't know half of the things that go on here," Ratonhnhake:ton said admittedly. I had to agree with him on that.

"I thought the same thing as you. Then I found out that it's better to be at peace in the countryside." I waived Achilles off as if I didn't care, that's old people talk.

"Why the countryside? There's so much to do here," I replied

Achilles sighed, "not for everyone."

We stopped in the middle of the street and Achilles handed my brother the sack full of coins. "There's a store not far from here. Buy everything you can from this list and have it delivered to the carriage."

Ratonhnhake:ton nodded his head, eagerly taking the money. Achilles studied Ratonhnhake:ton's demeanor, no telling what that old man was thinking about.

"You're going to need a new name," he stated.

I was completely taken aback. A new name? "What's wrong with Ratonhnhake:ton?" I asked, a little offended.