Chapter 1

Ziio

"Time passed. The children grew inside me and then they entered the world. They had their father's features, but enough of me that they did not appear as strangers. In the end, it mattered little. My people loved them as their own. I missed Haythem sometimes. He may have even loved me, in his way. But his eyes...his eyes were fixed upon the future. One in which he and his Templar brethren controlled all. My greatest fear is that one day I shall look into the face of my sons and see the same dark hunger there."

🗡🗡🗡

~Yaakova~
~Kanien'keha:ka~
~Age: 9~

     Ratonhnhake:ton and I stood huddled over a book, smiling ear to ear. With mother away, we'll be able to at least try to read a couple of pages. Ratonhnhake:ton quickly closed the book and kicked it behind us.

I looked at him in confusion as to why he did that, then I turned around to see our mother with a cold look on her face.

"Good morning mother," we both said in our native language.

"Hmm...what are you two up to?" She asked.

Ratonhnhake:ton looked at me, we had to come up with something quick. "Nothing, uh..we were only," I stuttered. I couldn't think of anything else and mother wasn't falling for our story.

"Ratonhnhake:ton, Yaakova, come play with us!"

I looked around mother to see our best friend, Kanen'to:kon peeping around the corner. "The others have gone hunting and we're bored."

Mother looked at the little boy and back at us. Her facial expression was "go before I change my mind," so Ratonhnhake:ton didn't hesitate to leave. "Go on, but don't venture beyond the valley," mother said just before we left.

"We know mother," I responded.

We headed out towards the Kanien'keha:ka gate: Me, my brother, Kanen'to:kon, and three other boys whom names I didn't know.

"This way," said Kanen'to:kon.

"Thanks for coming when you did Kanen'to:kon," I said showing my gratitude.

"Oh, were you in any trouble?"

"Yes, mother nearly caught us reading that book. Thanks," said Ratonhnhake:ton.

Kanen'to:kon smiled "no problem."

"Stay out of the mud! It took me days to wash the stains from your clothes Yaakova! No better than beasts!" We were pretty far away from our place and I can still hear mother's voice.

Ratonhnhake:ton bumped me and laughed "you heard mother."

I bumped him back, "I would've won if I didn't fall from that tree."

"Maybe this time you will win," he responded.

"Maybe? I will win this time."

"BE HOME BY SUNSET!" Our mom yelled across the village.

Ratonhnhake:ton sighed "Yes mother!"

                              🗡🗡🗡

After a couple of minutes of running and talking we made it out of the gate.

"Take care children, make sure you don't leave the valley." I looked over to see one of our tribe warriors crouched looking for something in the grass. Kanen'to:kon had said everyone went hunting, I wonder why he remained at the village.