Chapter 7

~Boston~
~Age: 14~

"Damn, damn, damn," I whispered to myself, cursing uncontrollably as I ran between alleys. All of them showed no sign of Connor or the suspicious man from before. Where did they run off too? That gunshot, it had to come from somewhere near the square, I'm sure of it.

I facepalmed and made a quick turnaround. I arrived at the wooden platform, Achilles and the carriage were nowhere in sight. The red coats were standing back reloading their rifles while the citizens charged at them.

Laying just a few feet in front of the red coats were plenty of dead bodies. Men and women...rigor haven't even set in yet, so their deaths were very recent. Numerous rifles sounded off simultaneously, dropping bodies like a domino effect.

What the hell is going on? An all-out massacre just erupted. A massacre, in BOSTON! My father stood there with his hands behind his back, watching everything unfold. He tapped the nearest red coat on the shoulder, whispered something in his ear, and pointed up. I followed his fingers with my eyes, which led to the roof of a building. Connor stood there looking with a cold expression. The man he followed was now dead at his feet.

Connor took off in an instant, leaping from roof to roof. The soldiers scaled the buildings pursuing him through the air. Across the way, I saw Charles Lee with a sly grin on his face and a flintlock pistol in his hand. My nose flared and my hands moved on their own. Next thing I knew, I drew back the bowstring, slowing my breathing for the perfect shot.

I took in a deep breath, mentally calculated everything that could affect me from hitting my target. Wind...distance...civilians.

"Hey, look he's over here! Get him, boys!" My concentration broke and I snapped my head toward a herd of soldiers coming my way. No! This is my chance to kill him! I won't get another shot!

I held my bow steady as I walked back, trying to separate myself from the soldiers. They were closing in on me fast. I looked at the soldiers, then at Lee....back at the soldiers.....then at Lee once again.

"Damn." I shot the arrow and ran through the alley. I missed terribly and the red coats were hot on my tail.

I grunted in anger as I ran from the soldiers. I had the perfect opening....the perfect opportunity...the perfect shot. I could smell the delicious aroma of revenge for my mother and my people. Those damn red coats...

I pushed and shoved my way through dozens of people on the street. A bullet flew past the right side of my face, luckily it hit the stone wall instead. I looked back and ducked my head. I made a sharp right in the upcoming alley. It was too many of them to shake off.

I'll try to lose them on the rooftops. I approached a well-placed lift and seized the chance to escape. I stepped on the platform and sliced through the thin rope in one swing. The rope snapped and unraveled sending me soaring into the sky. I let go at its peak and landed into a crouched position on the roof. I took a few more strides before doing a leap of faith into a moving cart of cold hay. My heart raced and continued to pound, even after I've stopped running.

I could still hear the faint shouts of red coats in the growing distance. The cold twigs were piercing my skin and were poking places that weren't suppose to be poked.

Where the hell did Connor run off to? This is a big city and I have no clue where to begin looking. If anything, the soldiers had most likely alerted the others. I'm probably wanted by every red coat in Boston now. Achilles wasn't even at the square when I returned. There's no telling where he was either. I stayed in the cart for the next couple of minutes trying to catch my breath.

"We must stop these boys! I tell you they are indeed dangerous!" A voice yelled. I peeped my head out of the hay and watched as a group of people gathered around one feeble looking man. The man had on a light blue coat with white trimmings. His tan undershirt was ruffled up to his neck.