Chapter 13

I woke up thinking about what could've been last night. We came so close to kissing, I was basically already kissing her. I'm pretty sure I looked stupid when she pulled back.

Was she not interested in me? I shook my head. No, I can't think like this. Things are moving way too fast...

I did as much freshening up as I could with the little space provided. Connor and the rest of the crew were bright eyed and busy tailed. There was so much life on the upper deck.

The captain conversed with Connor at the helm like always. I spotted Nicole immediately having a friendly sword fight with one of the crew members.

He lunged at her and she parried. He spun around quickly slicing the air behind him. She ducked and intercepted another stab at her stomach.

The crew mates were eating this up, they loved it. I walked over to get a better view. Cheers, yelps, and hollering replaced most of the clanging metal sounds.

I leaned on the railing a couple feet behind the fight. "Come on Carl! Show her this is a man's job!" The guy next to me called out to his buddy.

It boosted the guy's confidence. He charged again, this time when Nicole intercepted it he immediately followed up with a shoulder bash. After colliding with the man's more muscular built body, she was sent back reeling back a bit.

The ship mates went wild. "Yeaaaah!!!" They clapped and stomped their boots on the deck. "That's what I'm talking about Carl!"

Nicole twirled her sword and rotated her shoulder slowly. "You got this Nicole!" I caught her attention and she nodded her head.

Carl's buddy looked at me smiling ear to ear. "I got 10 on my mate Carl here." Now, I'm not much of a gambler...but I'm not gonna pass up a chance to make easy money. There's just no way Nicole will lose to him.

"20" I responded holding out my hand. He looked over at the bout, Nicole stumbled and barely managed to block the attack. "Oh you're on. 20" he said firmly shaking my hand.

I smirked and folded my arms over my chest. Any minute now and she will have this fight won. Nicole started to gain momentum after every strike. Carl was struggling to keep up with her relentless pace. Some strikes he didn't even bother to parry, he just ducked and jump to the side.

I looked over at the guy next to me. He was gritting his teeth and clinching his butthole. He was nervous now, thinking about giving up his money.

"You better not lose! I've got good money riding on this!"

When I helped sharpen up her swordplay, Nicole's ability to strike in rapid succession proved to be a little difficult to stop with just one sword. I often had to pull out my shiv.

Striking repeatedly somehow gave her an advantage. It gave her time to find an opening, while the opponent focuses on just blocking and staying alive. Nicole would then strike quickly, and follow up with another attack on the opposite side of the body farther away from her initial strike.

Why hit farther away, if that spot is damaged? After taking a direct hit, that will send a signal to the opponent to block not only that spot but that area. Then they would anticipate another attack that way, blocked or countered.

The key is to not put too much power in the initial hit, but just enough to get their attention on that area.

Nicole used the hilt of the sword to drive it in his side. Carl didn't looked fazed at all, but he fell for it.

"Pay up" I said with confidence. "Are you kidding me? She hits like a girl!"

Carl's guard dropped more toward the center, letting Nicole know he wasn't getting hit there again. After her initial hit she baited him into blocking another body shot and kicked his knee.