Chapter 14

1 Year Later...
1774
Age: 18
Frontier

"Come out already" Nicole muttered.

"Patience" I responded with my arms folded.

"We've been in this tree forever" she exaggerated.

I sat down on the branch and leaned back against the tree. I crossed my legs and lowered the hood over my eyes.

"Well I have all the time in the world" I said getting more comfortable on the tree branch.

"I just don't get it, he should've left the fort already." Nicole kept her focus on the entrance of the wooden made structure . There were two red coats guarding the entrance and 4 more as lookouts in the towers of each corner.

"If he's not coming out, then you should I don't know... Go in."

"Wait, you're not coming with me?"

"Of course I'm not. This is the last thing you have to do in order to complete your training."

"I don't have to do it. I basically volunteered to kill this bastard. With Connor in Boston, doing gods knows what and you being my field teacher, I had no choice. I could've accepted my official assassin title this morning." She did have a point, her training is complete. Achilles wanted her to kill Norman Tillard, as sort of a victory lap.

Also we couldn't let them continue stealing our resources from the homestead. It's been going on for nearly a month now, and I was finally able to track them back to this fort in the frontier. They are a stealthy bunch, if I do say so myself.

"There are no openings. It's completely guarded and monitored." I threw my hood back and examined the guards. There was a small window of opportunity between the front tower guards as they rotated and made their rounds.

That should give Nicole enough time to kill the two guards in front of the gate. She would have to kill them no more than one second apart. If she could do that, she had her way in.

"Okay look, you see those-" I stopped in mid sentence when I saw a wagon off in the distance. The back was covered by what looked to be a blanket. Perfect, I thought to myself. "There" I pointed out.

"Okay, a wagon. They're probably getting more supplies" she said unimpressed. "That's not the point. Just think." Even though her training is officially done, it's obvious she need more experience.

Her eyes widened and she smiled. "Oh, I got it."

"Good, I'll wait for your return. Hurry, get to that wagon before it gets to close." She nodded and leaped away branch to branch. Nicole dropped down a few feet behind the cart and jumped inside the back.

I sat down and crossed my legs. "Be careful" I whispered aloud. The wagon came to stop just outside the gate. The two red coats leisurely strolled over to the man holding the reigns and started a small conversation.

They inspected the cart by walking around it; the red coats let them pass and I let out a shaky breath. Now all she have to do is kill her target....

Sometime later, I heard a huge explosion. The fort gates blew open and the same wagon from before shot out of it. It was a different driver, this man had a mysterious look about him. His face was hidden by a hood.

I can't let him get away. Damn it! I told Nicole I would wait for her.... I weighed my options quickly and jumped from tree to tree in pursuit of the speeding cart. Who is this man?

I know he's not Norman.... Why was he there at the fort? More importantly.... Why is he speeding away? I was starting to gain on him, but I was starting to run out of branches. There was no way for me to get to that cart fast enough.