Chapter 2

~5 Years Later~
~Kanien'keha:ka Valley~
~Age:14~

It has been 5 years since our mother had died. Our childish like minds didn't think losing one person would change the way we see the world. Whenever hope presented itself, there was always something reminding me of our mother's death. Most of the time, Ratonhnhake:ton was the one reminding me of mother's death.

My brother's heart grew colder every year mother wasn't with us. He had lost trust in our people and the only people he felt he could trust was Kanen'to:kon and I. We spent most of our days hunting and climbing. Ratonhnhake:ton was a natural when it came to finding food for our village, he was one of the main hunters.

Every day he helped me with my hunting techniques and getting more consistent when I scale trees or rocks. Today the clan mother wanted Ratonhnhake:ton to teach Kanen'to:kon just as well as he had taught me. My brother didn't want to, but it would be best to have as many hunters as possible.

Sometimes we would talk about Charles Lee and his men from that dreaded day. Ratonhnhake:ton sought revenge for the death of our mother. It clouded his mind during hard times in the winter. The only thing I can say was "we'll get him one day." Even though it was a false sense of hope it always helped clear his head.

🗡🗡🗡

Ratonhnhake:ton sat on a tree stump overlooking the valley. He had his bow and quiver strapped to his back and his hair had stopped just past his neck. I didn't look that much different since we're always hunting so a bow and arrows are a must. I leaned my back against the same tree with my eyes closed and arms folded.

"Leave it up to Kanen'to:kon to be late," I said.

"That's what I expected," he responded.

"The more people we have hunting, the less we have to do little brother."

I took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled, "yeah, I guess you're​ right."

"Peace," a familiar voice called. I opened my eyes to see Kanen'to:kon with a friendly smile on his. We greeted each other in our traditional village way.

"You're late," my brother said coldly.

Kanen'to:kon's smile turned into a guilty expression, "sorry," he apologized.

Ratonhnhake:ton hoped off of the stump and gave him a serious scowl. I stood on the side of their weird stare down with my arms folded.

"We have work to do. The Clan Mother has asked us to gather materials for tonight," my brother said.

"We'll start with the feathers. We can scout the area for birds nest from up there," I added while pointing up to the trees.

Kanen'to:kon nodded, "lead the way," he said.

Ratonhnhake:ton turned around and ran along with the stump he sat on earlier. I sprinted on the log that leads to numerous amounts of tree branches. We mirror every move and every route he took. My brother jumped from branch to branch, tree to tree with no problem at all.

He then jumped between a V-shaped tree, pushed off of his right hand, and boosted himself up higher.

Ratonhnhake:ton grabbed between the branches and hoisted himself in between. I followed closely behind him, but I pushed off of my left hand to get between the opposite side of the tree.

Kanen'to:kon hesitated and stopped. "There's nothing to grab onto," he complained.

Ratonhnhake:ton sighed, "yes there is. Look for spots where the bark roots."