Christmas with Michael

Michael sat on the couch eating Oreos while I tried my best to decorate the Christmas tree. It was mine and Michael’s first Christmas together as a young married couple and I was excited for the season and keen on starting traditions for the Cliffords. I was standing on a chair trying to wrap fairy lights around the ‘handmedown’ Christmas tree that Michaels parents had given me. Old Christmas carols play on the radio sitting on the window ledge, which Michael changed stations of every few minutes.

"Babe, can you help me wrap these lights around the top of the tree? I’m too short." I say, handing the fairy lights over to Michael.

"No no, they’re too far apart," I say as Michael wraps the lights around the tree. He takes the lights off and tries again.
“No, now they’re too close together, here let me do it.” I say removing the lights for a second time.

Half an hour and a step ladder later, the lights are finally on the tree, not perfectly but good enough. When I realise I forgot to buy tinsel.

"Oh my gosh," I say, pulling at my hair with frustration, "could anything else go wrong?"

"Hey Sky, baby," Michael says, getting up and holding my hands, forcing me to look into his eyes, "what’s wrong?"

"I forgot to buy tinsel!" I cry.

"No Sky what’s really wrong? Why are you acting all crazy with this tree"

"I’m not acting crazy," I shrug free from his grasp, "it’s very important to have tinsel on this tree or else it will look empty. And stop changing the radio station." I say as Michael picks up the radio, "It’s Christmas, we are listening to bloody Christmas carols!"

"No, Skylar" Michael says sarcastically, coming towards me with a goofy smile on his face, "you’re not acting crazy at all"

I sigh, realizing that he’s 100% right; he usually is when it comes to this sort of stuff.

"Come sit." Michael says, opening his arm up for me to snuggle into his side. I rest my head on his chest and look up at him with apologetic puppy dog eyes.

"I’m sorry." I whimper. "Hey, it’s alright," he says, kissing the top of my head, "I should be the one who’s sorry. I wasn’t helping by sitting down, eating Oreos and changing the radio station."

I can't help but chuckle and entwine my hand with my husband’s “I just wanted everything to be perfect Mikey. It’s our first Christmas together and I wanted us to remember it forever. I wanted us to remember the amazing tree and the fun time we had putting it up. And I wanted to create traditions that our kids would one day pass on. And I just wanted to look back and remember the first Christmas that I spend with the love of my life.”

"Sky you know what I’m going to remember about this Christmas?"

"Me acting crazy?"

"No," he laughed, "This. I’m going to remember my wife laying in my arms while we talked in front of the perfectly lit Christmas tree."

A content smile crept across my face.

"What has been yout favorite part of this year?" I ask.

"Besides our wedding," He says, "That trip we took to the countryside. Do you remember that?"

"Yeah," I giggle, "that was a great day."

"I remember that you fell asleep in the car on the way home from my parents’ and I thought that I’d just keep on driving until you’d wake up."

"Yeah and I woke up in the middle of nowhere." I laugh remembering that day.

"It was a beautiful country town and we were a newly married couple. Winter was almost over so we were all rugged up in coats and scarves. And we found a little bakery where we ate chicken pies and talked about our future. Then when it got dark we found that tiny motel with green walls. And the next morning we drove back home listening to our playlist."

"It was magical." I sigh, remembering how the sun lit up the overcast sky, giving the illusion of summer even though it was cold.

"This should be our tradition." Michael says, "Every year we should sit by the Christmas tree and tell each other what we loved the most about the year that’s coming to an end."

"That is perfect." I say and softly kiss my husband. Smiling at the thought of many Christmas's to come sitting with Michael talking about our year. "I love you Skylar Marie Clifford." Michael tells me stressing the last name. "God, I love the sound of that," Michael says with a grin "Sound of what?' I ask looking up at him, his smile gets bigger as he leans down to peck me on the lips. "Your last name, you're finally mine and I never thought this day would come but it did and I can't be any happier than to be called you husband and be able to hold you forever in my arms." Michael confesses wiht a grin, I move alittle in his arms and pull him down to be just shy of my lips and whisper... "I love you too, Michael Gordon Clifford, I am so happy to be called your wife and that your my husband." Then I pull him down and our lips meet I can his smile which makes me smile into the kiss. Damn I love this boy. Can't wait to spend the rest of forever with him.