Chapter 30 (edited)

My whole body shook as I sat in front of Dacre’s body, sprayed with blood. A servant came in and hissed in anger and saw me crying. She helped me up and walked me to my room. Bodies were everywhere. I tripped on some on the way to the room, but the servant caught me before I fell on my face. Andrew, Sabina, Tim, and Daniel were in the room. The servant sat me down and bowed to Andrew and left.

“Dacre is dead, Andrew is the successor,” I said in a trance.

            Andrew sat down and hugged me. I cried in his lap. Eric and Nick stormed in.

“You can’t be his successor!” Nick shouted.

“Stop, we all heard him say it,” Eric snapped.

“I was supposed to succeed Dacre! Not him!” Nick hissed.

“Stop, have respect for the new King,” Eric demanded.

“What now Sire?” Tim asked looking at Andrew.

“Uh…” Andrew stuttered, “Clean the place up, and get a body count. When that is done we will have a funeral,” Andrew said and everyone left.

            Andrew gave me new clothes and washed the blood off me. I changed and walked back to the bed and Andrew tucked me in and lied next to me until I fell asleep. When I woke up Sabina was sitting on Andrew’s bed.

“Everyone is in the dining room,” Sabina said and walked me there.

            Andrew sat at the head of the table and a coffin was on the table. Everyone looked numb.

“We all know that we were ambushed by the Hunters. Their leader, Vlad, killed Dacre and appointed me successor. We lost a lot of people, but so did they. They won’t be back because they got what they wanted. For those who lost loved ones, they are resting in coffins outside, waiting to be buried. We have one Hunter in the dungeon alive for questioning. From here on out there are going to be changes. Daniel is now my assistant and consultant so treat him with the respect he deserves. Eric and Tim, I release the bond between you two. Tim you are free, go wherever you wish. Eric, I will talk with you later.  The rest of you keep doing your jobs. Dacre ran this place with cruelty and threats. I am not that kind of person. As you all know, I find it hard to feed on humans, so out of respect for me, no feeding on castle grounds. Go to the woods for that. Dacre lies here for those to say goodbye and all bodies will be buried after twenty-four hours. May these souls rest in peace. Amen,” Andrew said.

“Amen,” the room repeated.

“If any of you have a concern, problem, or suggestion, please come to me. Do not fear me,” Andrew said before dismissing everyone.

            I went upstairs and started packing my things.  Tim came in and started helping me.

“Your man Andrew handled that really well under the circumstances,” Tim said.

“I know; I was shocked. I’ve never seen that side of him before,” I admitted.

“I wonder how Andrew will handle Eric,” Tim smirked.

“Payback will be a bitch,” I smiled.

“Andrew is going to grow up quite fast now that he is King,” Tim noted.

“I know. He has responsibility now.”

“You know he is going to be here and that you are leaving without him,” Tim said.

“I’m not stupid. I know I have to leave without him,” I said sadly.

“I am going to stay with Andrew and help him. He needs all the help he can get, especially with Nick being scorned,” Tim said.

“That’s true. I need the quickest flight out of here,” I said.

“I’ll go arrange that,” Tim offered.

            Daniel stood in the doorway.

“Andrew wants to speak with you,” Daniel announced.

            I nodded and walked to Dacre’s old room and found Andrew standing there.

“Hey,” I smiled shyly.

“Hey yourself. I hear Tim is arranging a flight for you,” Andrew said.

“Yeah. Andrew, the way you commanded that room, it was impressive. Dacre made the right decision,” I assured.

“Thanks, but I never asked for it. I am going to miss you more than you can imagine,” Andrew said sitting down on the bed.

“Same here. I can’t imagine life without you at the house. You’re family,” I said tearing up.

“Hey, don’t cry, you’re supposed to be the strong one,” Andrew joked, “If I can I will visit you, or you can visit me.”

“So what did you do to Eric?” I asked.

“I banished him from the castle and told him to never come in my presence again unless demanded. He’s gone,” Andrew explained.

“That’s good,” I smiled.

“Violet, I heard Vlad give you an ultimatum. Vlad saved you. Dacre was going to kill you. What are you going to do?” Andrew asked.

“I don’t know. I have a lot of thinking to do before I decide anything,” I said.

“Whichever way you go, I understand,” Andrew said.

            That evening the plane was ready for me, and Andrew, Tim and Daniel were there to wish me a safe flight. Andrew walked me on the plane and sat down across from me a moment before getting up and kissing me.

“I had to let you know how I felt before you left,” Andrew whispered as he stood up.

“Shit. I am going to miss you a lot. I hate that you have to stay here,” I said not knowing what else to tell him.

“I understand if you want to be with Luke,” Andrew said and turned to leave, “But, just don’t forget about me.”

“Never in a million years would I forget you,” I said as he got off the plane.