Chapter 29 (edited)

I woke up to a scream. I looked beside me and Andrew was looking around with fear in his eyes.

“Violet there are Hunters…a lot of them,” Andrew exclaimed.

            Andrew and I got up and everyone was rushing around the castle. Andrew was going to find Sabina and I went to find Daniel. Running to the kitchen, I saw a bloodbath. Vampires and Hunters bodies were lying throughout the halls. A wall crashed down on my left and Tim and a Hunter were wrestling. Tim broke the Hunters neck and looked up at me shame covering his face.

“Where is Daniel? What’s going on?” I asked.

“I saw him earlier in the courtyard. An invasion. Get on my back I’ll speed you out there,” Tim said as I got on.

            Stopping in the courtyard Daniel was fighting two Hunters at once, and Tim joined in. I didn’t know what to do. I knew the way a Hunter thought, so I could predict their plans and moves. I shouted out to Tim and Daniel what I observed and guessed would happen. The Hunters looked at me and back to the Vampires and changed attacks.

            I spun around to see a Hunter above a dead Vampire, speaking into a radio. A voice came back giving more attack plans- it was Vlad. My nightmare became reality. I spun around looking for Andrew and freaked out when I didn’t see him. I ran back to our room and Andrew wasn’t there.

“Violet, calm down, I will look for Andrew,” Tim said appearing in the doorway and disappearing just as quick.

            I felt so helpless. There was nothing I could to do help, and I didn’t even know what side I would be helping. I paced in the room until Tim came back holding an unconscious Andrew. Tim placed him on the bed and I looked him over for any fatal injuries, and thankfully he had none.

“What happened?” I asked.

“A girl with white hair struck his head from behind, she was going to stake him but I got him out of the way and to safety,” Tim said and I cursed.

“Ellie!” I hissed and looked back to Andrew, “Andrew? Hey, wake up,” I said shaking him.           

            Tim locked the door when he left and I kept shaking Andrew, tears rolling down my eyes, begging for him to wake up.

“Stop,” Andrew said as he opened his eyes.

“Thank god!” I said hugging him.

“Violet, I’m okay. What happened?” Andrew asked.

“Ellie, she knocked you unconscious,” I said.

“Where is Sabina?” Andrew said trying to sit up.

“I don’t know, you must have been knocked out before you found her,” I said.

“I have to find her,” He said trying to get out of bed.

“No!” I said pushing him back on the bed, “You’re staying here. Tim is out there fighting and probably looking for her. And Vlad is leading this invasion,” I said.

“What? Where is he? Did you see him?” Andrew asked.

“No, but I have to find him. But I need to find some protection. I will be back; you wait here. I swear if I come back and you aren’t here I will kill you myself,” I threatened.

“Be safe,” Andrew said as he watched me leave.

            At the bottom of the stairs there was a dead Hunter. I grabbed the stake in his hand and raced to Dacre’s room since that was where Vlad was probably going to end up. Entering I didn’t see Dacre or Vlad anywhere.

“C’mon, where are you Vlad?” I whispered.

            Turning around Dacre appeared in front of me out of mist.

“I was looking for Vlad,” I said.

“Why the stake?” Dacre said eyeing me.

“To protect myself from Vlad,” I said.

            Dacre walked to his throne and turned to face me again and turned to mist. I turned around and saw Vlad standing in the doorway, holding one of Dacre’s servant’s heads in his hand. He dropped the head and pulled out a knife.

“Violet, my dear,” Vlad greeted with hostile.

“Vlad,” I replied icily.

“What are you doing here? Oh wait, you’re staying here to protect one of your friends, who’s a Vampire! Where did I go wrong with you?” Vlad cursed shaking his head.

“You murdered my parents!” I shouted.

“You have no proof,” Vlad spat.

“Plenty! I will not forgive you,” I said.

“We can work this out later my dear, but right now I have some unfinished business,” Vlad said.

“No, you are not going to kill Dacre,” I said.

“If you stand in my way you will regret it,” Vlad warned.

“Actually you will regret it,” I said.

“You wouldn’t kill a human. It would tear you apart. Kill Vampires, not humans,” Vlad said.

“Vampires are my friends!” I shouted.

“Think about what you do to them when you’re around them. They constantly are fighting their instinct to rip your throat out! They are deadly predators, not friends,” Vlad said.

“I killed your parents to protect you. They were making you think Vampires were harmless, when in truth they are killers,” Vlad spat.

“You had no right to make that choice for me! It was my parents job to raise me the way they wanted,” I cried.

“Maybe Luke has control, but what about Dacre? Is he like them? Or is he a killer? Think about that Violet,” Vlad said.

“Dacre…isn’t like Luke,” I said.

“Then don’t protect him,” Vlad said putting his foot down.

“Dacre is powerful, the most powerful Vampire, do you really think you’re going to take him?” I said.

“I don’t care if I die fighting. I will not let Jeannette die in vain!” Vlad cried.

“I am staying out of it. I am on no ones side,” I said as I walked out of the room.

            Vlad gasped and I turned to see Dacre and Vlad fighting. I wanted to leave, to keep walking, but I couldn’t. Vlad was the only family member I had left.

“Violet! Help ME!” Dacre said as Vlad was on the winning side.

“I can’t,” I replied tears falling.

“Then you choose him? The man who murdered your parents?” Dacre accused.

            Dacre was focused on me and escaped Vlad’s grip and sped towards me, grabbing my neck. My eyes went wide as I saw Vlad take the opportunity.

 “Andrew will be my successor, choose me.” Dacre said.

            Before I could say anything Vlad swiped his blade at Dacre, cutting his head off with one clean cut. Dacre’s head rolled away, his grip released, body falling to the ground. I sunk to my knees as tears kept coming.

“No…What have you done?!” I cried as I looked at Dacre’s body.

“He was a killer, he was going to kill you,” Vlad said, “Stop your crying. You look weak. You can’t change what just happened. You now have a decision to make. Come with me or stay with them. I will give you three days to contact me with your choice. If you don’t, I will assume you’re against me and you will be a target,” Vlad said before walking out the door.