Chapter 25 (edited)

I was in the bathroom when I heard Andrew and Luke talking in his room.

“As if it weren’t hard enough for her to leave with me,” Andrew spat.

“Look, I’ve waited eleven years for her to come back into my life, sorry if I’m not willing to just lose her again,” Luke said.

“Boys,” Jason said, “Looks like you two have a thing for our dear Violet,” Jason laughed.

“I knew Violet before you, if you hadn’t come along we would be together,” Luke said.

“Really? So I came along and changed her feelings? Please, I think and always have thought that you were the one she liked,” Andrew admitted.

“If that were true, she would be with me,” Luke replied.

“Dude, she doesn’t like me like that. Maybe she doesn’t like either of us have you thought of that? She could like my brother Greg,” Andrew suggested.

“How do you know that she liked Greg?” Luke asked.

“I didn’t I just thought if I got it off us, you’d chill. Wait she likes him?” Andrew asked shocked.

“In Florida, it was the way she looked at him. Okay, let’s pretend she doesn’t like either of us, but we like her. I don’t want to lose her, and I know you don’t either,” Luke said.

“Looks like you’re at an impasse,” Jason said, “May I say something? I feel like Violet has had feelings for both of you at one point during this year, but I don’t think at the moment she is even thinking about romance. She cares about us all dearly, and the best thing to do is not fight about this. Violet is focused on Andrew and Eric right now. She wants Andrew to be safe while meeting Dacre.”

            I stayed in the bathroom until everyone went downstairs. Jason was right I wasn’t even thinking of romance. Maybe before I realized Andrew and I really are going to Transylvania, maybe when I was in school I thought of it, but not now. Eric was supposed to come for us today; I was worried about not coming home again.

            Heading downstairs Luke and Andrew were in the Library. I went to the kitchen to see Alex eating dinosaur chicken and playing with them. Jason was getting out cards so Alex would play with that. I sat down in the library and the boys looked at me and then back to the TV.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hey,” they replied at the same time not looking at me.

            The doorbell rang and Andrew was tense and Jason wouldn’t answer the door. I got up and knew it had to be Eric. Walking to the door, Eric stood there with a grin.

“Hello Eric,” I moped.

“I hear you figured out the murder,” Eric congratulated.

“Whatever, we will be out in a minute,” I said as Andrew was behind me with our bags.

“I’ll be in the driveway,” Eric said.

            I turned to Alex and Jason and hugged them goodbye.

“Keep Alex safe,” I told Jason.

“Always, and you two be safe,” Jason said holding back tears.

“We will be back, I promise.”

“I’ll walk them out,” Luke said and grabbed my bag for me, heading out the door.  

            Eric smiled when he saw us all, and none of us greeted him with smiles. Eric took the bags from Andrew and Luke and put them in the car. Luke pulled me around the corner out of sight from everyone.

“I wanted to say goodbye to you privately. You know I hate to see you leave. You know if you run into trouble to call me and I will get a flight there,” Luke smiled sadly.

“I am not going away forever, just for like two weeks hopefully,” I smiled.

“Close your eyes,” Luke asked and I did as he said.

            Suddenly he kissed me. I opened my eyes in shock, though I couldn’t seem to pull myself away.

“Don’t do something stupid like getting yourself killed,” Luke joked as I hugged him.

“I’ll try my best not to,” I laughed.

            Walking back to the driveway Andrew was sitting in the car with Eric. Luke hugged me one last time and I got in the car. On the ride to the airport Eric talked about Transylvania, describing the woods and the castle we were going to. Apparently we were staying at the Hunyad castle, it was closed to the public when people started going missing. He also mentioned that Dacre was very excited to have me accompanying Andrew. Andrew seemed distant since we got in the car.

Arriving at the private airport we got out and Andrew stayed behind me, keeping his distance from Eric who nodded in understanding. I took his hand and we got on the jet. Sitting down I took out a notebook and a pen and decided the way to communicate with Andrew was by notes so Eric wouldn’t hear.

How are you doing Andrew?

Just fine, what do you think? Glad you got to say goodbye?

Yeah, I’m glad, aren’t you?

Yours came with a little extra…

What’s that supposed to mean?

Super hearing remember?

Oh, you know…

Yeah, nothing is private when you’re a Vampire.

Right. Anyways…

Do you like him?

I don’t know. I am not focused on romance at the moment

Okay. So what do you think Dacre will be like?

Scary? Intimidating? As long as we behave, and he gets what he wants we should come home unharmed

Well, we just won’t show weakness. We will appear strong and capable, that will hopefully gain respect.