Chapter 8 (edited)

Weeks went by with my trying to keep my cool, and not let the idea that Vlad could have killed my parents’ bother me. I was also not fond of winter in Fairfield. It was extremely cold to me. It was also only two weeks until chritsmas break, which made me on edge even more. Holidays were always …a sad time of the year. My uncle, the tough man he is, doesn’t like for me to show any weakness, so if I seem down or complain on the holidays, he gets angry with me. I think I’m lucky if I get one present that is normal and not related to hunting.

Arriving at school, someone tapped my shoulder, and I judo flipped them from my nerves. Looking at the guy on the floor it was Luke. My eyes widened and I didn’t even know how to apologize.

“Someone is on edge today,” Luke said gasping for breath.

“I am so sorry,” I apologized as I noticed everyone had crowded around.

            Luke stood up and told people the show was over and people dispersed. Luke gave me a hard look.

“You aren’t okay are you?” Luke said, more than asked.

            I lowered my head not wanting him to see my face. I had learned not to show weakness growing up and I wasn’t ready to show any now.

“Why didn’t you tell us you weren’t okay?” Luke asked looking at me for an answer when I lifted my head.

“I…I don’t know. I am afraid. What if my whole life has been a lie? What if Vlad…And if he did, how could he raise me knowing what he’s done? I just never thought Vlad could hurt me in that way,” I explained poorly.

“Violet, everything will be alright. We will figure this out. I know that we’ve been crazy busy since break is coming up, but we will find time to solve this,” Luke assured.

“True, during break we will have time right?”

“Um, yeah, we have a two week break, but I might have to travel with my family during part of the break,” Luke said rubbing the back of his neck.

“Okay, so we need to do something before break? I will tell Vince the plan,” I said as the bell rang.

            Later that week Luke invited me over to his house. Vince was there when I arrived sitting with Luke’s parents. I looked back at Luke with a look saying, ‘What is going on?’

“Luke told us that you were struggling. Honey, everything will be okay, and you are right, we need to find out as soon as possible so your mind can be at ease,” Luke’s mother said as she hugged me.

“Okay, well if we are going to solve this, we need connections,” I said.

“Like the police department?” Luke’s father voiced.

“Exactly,” I said.

“I used to be Captain at the department, but retired because it was getting too hard to seem normal,” Luke’s father said.

“Do you think you can get all the files?” his wife asked.

“I was on that case, sweetie, and you know how charming I can be. I can do it, just give me some time and I will get it,” Luke’s father assured.

            I smiled and looked at the time and silently cursed. I forgot to call Vlad and let him know where I was. He was going to be pissed.

“Sorry, I have to make a quick call,” I said and went into the kitchen even though I know they will still be able to hear it.

“Violet? Where are you?” He asked sternly.

“I forgot to call and let you know that I am at a friends, my bad,” I apologized.

“You cannot forget these things. I know you’re going to be a senior next year and then go off to college and move out…but I am still your guardian until you leave for college,” Vlad explained.

“Sorry, I will remember next time,” I promised and hung up.

            Walking back into the room they all had a strange expression on their face.

“What?” I sighed.

“We were just talking and we want you to know that if things don’t turn out as you want, then you have a place to stay. You’re family,” Luke’s mother smiled softly.

“Thank you,” I smiled trying to hold in the tears.

            It was nice to feel like I had a family. As it got late, I went back home. Sitting in my bed I thought to myself. There was no way I’d been living with a murderer my whole life, wouldn’t I have noticed? Though, since he was all I had I guess not.

            The next morning Vlad said he had to drive me to school, didn’t tell me why. I nodded my head and didn’t argue. I figured it had to do with Mr. Jet since they knew each other so well. Getting out of the car Mr. Jet greeted Vlad and me.

“Nice to see you after eleven years! We have much to catch up on,” Mr. Jet smiled.

            I cocked my head and Vlad shot me a look and I scampered off to class. Eleven years since he’s seen Mr. Jet? Was that a coincidence? Eleven years…what were the odds?