Chapter 28 (edited)

Andrew

            I sat there in agony. I didn’t want to kill anyone, but the humans were just finishing up. Dacre’s woman left only minutes after Violet left and no one replaced her. Suddenly the doors were locked and this was it. The humans started to get nervous and Nick laughed before he bit down on his meal and all hell broke loose. Each Vampire was assigned a human, and they were to only kill the one they were assigned. My girl was hiding under the table. Looking around it was like a horror movie as blood covered the room. I felt sick. I could practically taste it in the air. I backed up and tripped over a dead body, and the Vampire feeding on it bared his fangs at me in warning and I scrambled off. Dacre was behind me.

“Why aren’t you feeding? You must be starving,” Dacre said.

“I am, but not for live humans,” I said defiantly.

“You have to eventually. No one leaves this room until you complete your task,” Dacre said, “Give in to your true nature, we are Vampires for heavens sake!”

            The girl tried to escape when Dacre grabbed for her, but he pulled her out to the open and she was crying and shrieking. I felt dizzy and disgusted with myself.

“Do it,” Dacre said and I didn’t move, “DO IT!”

            I refused. Dacre took his nail and cut a small opening in her neck and blood rolled down to her shoulder. Dacre himself was struggling to have control as he grabbed the back of my neck and shoved me down so my mouth tasted the blood and I lost it. I dug my fangs in and drank and Dacre cheered. I stopped and she was still alive. She was dizzy and covered in blood now.  Dacre looked at me in shock.

“End it! She is suffering! End it now!” Dacre shouted pushing my face back to her neck.

            I drank again, not able to control myself but I could hear her heart beat slowing and I stopped not wanting to kill her. Dacre pushed me away and asked her if she wanted to live and she said live.

“No! She doesn’t know what she’s getting into!” I shouted.

“Shut your mouth you insolent fool!” Dacre said baring his fangs at me.

            Dacre cut his hand and gave her some of his blood.

“It speeds the process,” Dacre commented.

            Seconds later she convulsed on the ground and then when she stopped she looked around with red eyes and I was horrified.

“I have someone for you,” Dacre smiled as the doors opened to reveal a boy no more the age of twelve.

            The girl didn’t hesitate; she was on the boy in seconds as the boy hollered and screamed and then silence. Dacre looked pleased.

“What’s your name darling?” Dacre asked.

“Sabina,” She replied once she was finished.

“You now belong to Andrew here, thank him for your new life,” Dacre smiled.

“You can’t put this on me!” I shouted.

“Temper, temper,” Dacre said wagging his finger at me, “This is your responsibility. You can’t drink from humans because you’re so torn you make them suffer. Kill quickly like Sabina here and you will be fine,” Dacre said as he left the dinning room.

            Everyone dispersed as the servants came in to clean the room. I walked up the stairs defeated, covered in blood, with a new born Vampire following me like a puppy. Opening the door Daniel was with Violet. Violet looked speechless when she saw me.

“Andrew…are you okay?” She asked rushing up and hugging me.

            That was not what I was expecting; I was expecting revolution not hugging. Sabina walked in and saw Violet and I stood in front of Violet baring my fangs and hissing at Sabina making her know not to touch Violet. Sabina shrank back.

“Andrew, what the-”

“Establishing that you are mine and are not to be harmed,” I said.

“What?” Violet asked.

“Learned that at dinner, never mind,” I said exhausted.

“Did you change her?” Violet asked looking down.

“I couldn’t kill her…it’s complicated. I don’t want to talk about it,” I said shuddering at the memories.

“Where am I sleeping?” Sabina asked.

“Daniel can you show her to a room or something?” I asked.

“Of course, Sabina follow me,” Daniel said ushering her out.

            I walked into the bathroom and jumped in the shower with my clothes on wanting to wash the blood off. I stripped and finished my shower and rung my clothes out and hung them on the curtain pole. Looking in the mirror I was fuzzy as always. I noticed that my hair had gotten longer so I trimmed some of it making layers. I then went straight to bed, not wanting to talk to Violet.

            The next morning I woke up to Violet hanging up the phone looking worried.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I had a dream, a terrible dream that Vlad found Jason and hurt him and knew I was in Transylvania and he plans to kill Dacre, it was scary,” Violet said.

“Do you think it’s one of those prophet dreams you get?” I asked.

“It felt so real, it had to be,” Violet said looking down.

            Over the next couple days I was distant from Violet. Sabina, I always shrugged her off and she goes to Nick. She is happy to teach her and spend time with her. She just reminds me of what I did or didn’t do…We had only been here a week and I couldn’t take it.  I just wanted to go back home.