Chapter 6 (edited)

“Wake up Violet,” Uncle called.

            Sitting up, I looked at my dresser and looked at the necklace. I put it on with a sense of understanding. I now understood why I had worn it all these years. Getting ready for school I couldn’t help but think of Luke. He was one enigma I intended to crack.

            Arriving at school, I was at my locker when I saw Luke. He stopped mid walk and looked as if he’d been hit by a bullet by the pain I saw on his face. I walked by him, but he grabbed my arm.

“What’s up?” I asked turning to see him.

“Can you tell me who gave you that necklace?” Luke asked almost in pain.

“An old friend,” I replied confused.

“What was his name?” Luke pushed.

“Uh…I can’t remember…I haven’t seen him in years, and I haven’t thought of him until recently,” I replied honestly.

“You don’t remember him?” Luke asked seriously.

“It’s not that I don’t remember him, it’s that his name escapes me,” I said wondering why he wanted to know about my past.           

            Luke let go and walked away. I cursed him in my head and continued to my locker.            Grabbing my things I shut my locker only to be startled that he was standing right there.

“God, what’s your problem?” I said recovering from shock.

“Sorry,” Luke said looking down for a moment.

“Let’s talk,” I demanded.

“Aren’t we already talking?” Luke said smugly.

“Smart ass? No, I mean lets go somewhere and actually sit down and talk,” I said as I started to walk toward the theatre hall.

“What could the new kid possibly want with me?” Luke feigned shock as he followed.

            As we got the to theatre hall I went into one of the soundproof practice rooms. Luke gave me a strange look.

“Okay, so…maybe this is crazy to say, but you’re the one who gave me this necklace, aren’t you?” I asked hoping I was right.

“Why would you think I gave it to you?” Luke asked making me feel disappointed.

“Well, you are acting weird and asking stuff about the necklace,” I pointed out.

“So?” Luke said nonchalantly.

“But you…I mean…you have to…”

“Would you finish your sentences,” Luke said sitting down.

“What were you doing snooping around my car?” I asked.

“I could ask why you were following me,” Luke pointed out.

“Touché,” I bowed my head.

“It doesn’t matter,” Luke said and it took me a second to understand what he was saying.

“It does! Who are you? Don’t pretend like you don’t know me! I remember you. I do, so why are you denying you know me?” I asked raising my voice as I talked.

“Shhh. Gosh, do you ever stop talking?” Okay, so I know you, you satisfied?” Luke said with exhaustion.

“No, I am not satisfied. Luke…you really are him. Do you remember our childhood?” I asked.

“Yes,” Luke said emotionlessly.

“Why so hostile? What did I ever do to you?” I asked angrily.

“Look, you’ve changed, I’ve changed. Our past means nothing. I’m going to go on pretending I don’t know you, it’s better that way,” Luke said standing up.

“What do you mean I’ve changed?” I asked standing in front of him, blocking his way to the door.

“The last time I saw you we were five. You said you weren’t going to leave me. The next thing I know, you’re gone,” Luke said angrily.

“I moved to a different part of Florida because of …you know,” I explained.

“You left. Gone without a trace! Not even a note to say goodbye,” Luke said filled with venom.

“My parents had just been murdered by-” I paused, “well, that’s what I thought at the time…It was hard on me, I was five and I lost both my parents!” I said trying to control my anger.

“Trust me, it wasn’t our kind that killed your parents. Don’t you remember how much our families loved each other? No Vampire would dare hurt your family, your family was really good to our kind,” Luke said.

“I’m beginning to believe that…” I mumbled.

“I don’t remember much from that night, but I remember my parents horror at hearing of the death of your parents. They were so worried for you; they were willing to adopt you! Did you know that?” Luke asked with annoyance.

“No…oh god…I am a terrible person…” I said as memories of me killing Vampires popped into my head.

“What do you mean?” Luke asked looking at me intently.

“You’re going to hate me even more than you do now,” I said.

“I don’t hate you,” Luke corrected.

“Oh, but you will,” I assured.

“Why?” Luke asked looking for an answer.

“I…I am…I’m so sorry,” I said as tears escaped from my eyes.

            Luke was caught off guard as I started to cry. Panic covered Luke’s face.

“Vi, it’s okay. I am not mad at you for leaving. What’s important is that you’re back,” Luke said hugging me.

“Vlad has a picture of my parents, and there are two copies. Here, just look through this yourself,” I said as I took the file out of my bag.

            Luke sat down and looked through it, his face going from neutral to horror and anger.

“Which picture is real? Though, my family would have known if a Vampire killed them,” Luke said.

“Vince, a Vampire friend, got the picture that makes it look as if humans killed my parents from the police report. The Vampire one has to be edited. But why would someone edit it?” I asked.

“Good question. Who would edit this to give to your uncle, or would your uncle do this?” Luke asked cautiously.

“How dare you even suggest that! Vlad has been nothing but good to me,” I defended.

            Luke nodded.  The bell rang and we went our separate ways. At the end of the day Luke and I hung out downtown and it was like nothing had changed.