Chapter 13 (edited)

“Greg…” Vince said, “We need to get to the airport like now!”

“Why, what’s wrong?” I asked.

            Vince pushed the button on his phone and handed it to me. The voicemail said, “Vince where are you? Do you know how worried everyone is! Where did you and Violet go? I can’t reach Violet; her cell phone number has been changed. Are you with her? How could you guys leave Jesse and me here without an explanation? Since you’ve been gone Jesse hasn’t stopped crying. I try to cheer her up but can’t because I sometimes cry thinking about what could have happened to Violet and you. You know how I can be dramatic, well, since you won’t answer your family and you won’t answer Jesse maybe you’ll answer this. You know how screwed up my family is and only you know this. You know how hard it is for me, and I can’t take it anymore. I have a gun, yes I do. I will pull the trigger in two days if you and Violet don’t come back.”

            I dropped the phone as I realized I was crying.

“We need to get to Florida now,” I whispered.

“Do you think he is bluffing?” Vince asked.

“I don’t know, and what does he mean screwed up family?” I asked.

“I am not chancing this. Poldark, Luke, Luke’s parents, we need to get to Florida to save a friend, is there any way we can get a plane out tonight or early tomorrow?” Vince asked urgently.

“I can get a plane out in the morning. I have a friend who prefers human life like the Forfangs,” Poldark explained as Vince and I sighed from relief.

Luke’s mother brought me a blanket and a pillow and tucked me into the couch to rest. She assured me that a bag would be packed for me and ready when we needed to leave. Vince sat down next to me and whispered, “Everything will be fine. We will get to Greg and he will be okay.”

“What did Greg mean by screwed up family?”

“His father is a famous musician and he…well Greg’s mother tried to cope with the father gone most of the time, and Greg feels alone since …it’s complicated,” Vince said explaining it poorly.

“Who is Greg’s father?” I asked.

“Greg never gave me a name, all he said was punk rocker…it explains Greg’s style,” Vince smiled.

“Okay, well goodnight,” I said as Vince left me to join everyone else in the kitchen. I thought about Greg and remembered our time in school. Freshman year, Jesse and Vince had been together since summer. Greg and I always teased them about how cute they were. Vince and Jesse left lunch early that day.

“Hey Violet, I was wondering why you wont date anyone,” Greg asked.

“I guess because the right guy hasn’t asked yet,” I replied blushing.

“You really are the romantic aren’t you?” Greg said laughing and I nodded.

“What about you Greg? Has anyone ever asked you out?” I asked.

“Me? Look at me, what girl would want to ask me out. I mean, not every girl wants a punk boyfriend. At least their parents don’t want their daughters around me,” He said looking distant.

“Why? You aren’t scary; you are nicer than half the kids who go here,” I assured.

“Thanks, it’s true there are some real bad kids here. Do you ever worry about those kids messing with you?” Greg asked.