Chapter 1(edited)

Eleven years later…

            My alarm clocked blared into my ear at six-thirty as the heat of a Miami Florida summer raced through my window. Summer was almost over though. Getting up and looking in the mirror, bags surrounded my eyes from the lack of sleep. Wearily I walked downstairs to the kitchen. I saw Vlad eating breakfast and sat down with him as he passed me some French toast.

“How was the hunt last night?” Vlad asked.

“It was fine,” I said before taking a bite of my breakfast.           

            When I say hunt, I don’t mean deer, I mean Vampires. The day my parents were murdered was the day I became a slayer. My uncle taught me everything he knew about slaying as I grew up. He really was the best uncle a girl could ask for.

“Violet, how about one more night?” Vlad probed.

“Vlad, you promised that last night was the last for the summer. Though, one more night won’t hurt,” I said caving, as I usually do.

            That night reminded me of the night my parents were murdered. Sheets of rain were pouring down. Lightning flashed and I spotted ominous figures lurking in alley. There were two, and they were stalking toward me. I didn’t fear them; I always had a plan. As the two of them got closer, their clothes were stained in blood. I pulled out my stake and they bared their fangs at me. One was so upset he lunged straight toward me, knocking me to the ground, but to his stupidity, my steak was straight up- impaling him as we fell. I got up quickly, and was about to attack the other vampire when I recognized him. Vince Sterling, my best friends boyfriend, as well as one of my close friends.

            I had never killed someone I knew. I froze, debating what to do. Vince looked confused and on guard. He was in phase one. He was just turned recently by his behavior. I put aside my emotions and decided to do what had to be done. Lunging at him with my steak, he sidestepped and quickly and effortlessly pinned me down. Sirens blared and Vince looked up and fear was on his face. He got off me and ran. At least he had good instincts to hide rather than fight and make a mess.

            I woke up from a nightmare, calling out to Vlad, but no one answered my cry. I shook my head, not wanting to remember that night, but over the years, every time there is a storm I remember bits and pieces from that night. I moved quickly, finding a dark street to get back home.

            Seeing my house, I ran up and opened the door, slamming it behind me. Standing there dripping wet and out of breath, Vlad put down his paper and gave me a strange look.

“What happened Violet?” Vlad asked sternly.

“There were two…I killed one. The other…he was one of my friends from school. I didn’t kill him. Police sirens blared and he freaked and ran,” I explained.

“This is the first time you haven’t killed a vampire that you had the chance to. You know your identity is not to be known. If that vampire speaks your name… Never mind. We cannot stay here. We are moving,” Vlad said as he stood up.

“What? I made a mistake, I think you’re overreacting,” I said.

“Violet! I am not overreacting. I’ve been doing this a lot longer than you have been. I know the consequences to having your identity revealed. If we stay, we die. If we move, we survive. It’s all about survival of the fittest,” Vlad scoffed and went upstairs dialing someone on the phone.

            I made the one mistake he told me not to. I decided to go to my room and pack. As I was gathering only essentials, as Vlad once told me to if we ever were in this situation, I grabbed a photo of my parents and me. I looked just like them with my wavy brown hair and brown eyes. I looked more like my mother than my father I had to admit.

“Violet, are you packing?” Vlad called.

“Of course,” I replied and put the picture in my pocket.

            I knew what Vlad was doing. He had connections all over. I didn’t know how, but he did. He was probably calling his highest connection, and best friend, Jason Howling the movie star. Vlad had told me about Jason while growing up, always speaking highly of him. I could tell they were close by the way Vlad spoke of him. Jason wasn’t just some person to use; he was someone Vlad could rely upon.

            I had my bag packed with all the things that were important to take, when Vlad came in and smiled at me.

“We have a place to stay and I found a school that you will be going to,” Vlad said.

            In all the chaos it hadn’t hit me that I would be leaving all my friends. Never to see them again.

“Vlad, that’s great. May I say goodbye to my friends?” I asked cautiously.

“Don’t be stupid Violet. You are not to have any contact with them again, give me your phone,” Vlad demanded holding out his hand.

            I didn’t move, trying to challenge Vlad just this once.

“Give me your phone!” Vlad shouted making me flinch.

            I pulled it out of my pocket and he looked at it and dropped it, stepping on, crushing it in front of me.

“Now, let’s get going,” Vlad said and walked out my door with his bag.