Chapter 26 (edited)

We had to take three planes to get to Transylvania, but when we finally arrived all I wanted to do was pass out on a bed. I hated traveling. Tim greeted us when the car pulled into the courtyard. He took our bags and a Vampire holding a black umbrella walked towards us. He had dark black-slicked hair, and black eyes. It had to be Dacre. I took Andrew’s hand and we tried to stay calm.

“Finally you arrive Eric. You must be Violet and Andrew. I’ve heard much about you two,” Dacre said with a scratchy low voice.

            I bowed my head and Eric looked nervous. Dacre was well put together, looked like a high-class citizen, not an intimidating Vampire. Tim started walking to the castle with our bags and we followed, but Dacre caught my arm.

“Sorry, I forgot about your lack of…ability. I will show you to your quarters. I need to speak to you,” Dacre said as Eric ushered Andrew ahead of us.

            I nodded and we strolled slowly up to the castle. Dacre looked at me and his eyes were frightening up close. I could tell my heart had sped up, and I silently cursed myself.

“How was your trip?” Dacre asked.

“Long and tiring. I am not the biggest fan of traveling,” I replied.

“You are of much talk in our world. You’ve got quite the history. A friend to Vampires, then their worst enemy, and now a friend…fickle you are. Though not your fault for being deceived,” Dacre said casually, “What are your plans now that you’ve found out the truth?”

“To live with Jason until I graduate and stay with the friends I’ve made,” I said not wanting to reveal much.

“Well, you and Andrew are free to stay as long as you would like,” Dacre said.

            I smiled and admired the castle. It was extravagant; the architecture was beautiful. I had never traveled anywhere in my life. Walking through the big halls, and up the stone stairs we arrived at the room Andrew and I would be staying in.

“This is your room. I have made eating arrangements for you, dinner will be served at seven sharp,” Dacre said and I bowed my head, “Your uncle at least taught you respect.”

            I turned and entered the room, which was big. There were two beds, and bedside tables, and a desk in the corner. There was a door that led to our own bathroom.

“Hey, how you holding up?” I asked.

“Okay but I need to tell you something. I’ve been having nightmares…even before all of this happened to me. I’ve been dreaming about Dacre for five years now. When I saw him…I couldn’t believe it. I thought I was in a dream until Eric pulled me ahead,” Andrew said sitting on his bed.

“Why didn’t you tell me? Are you okay?” I asked sitting next to him.

“I didn’t tell you because there wasn’t anything you could have done. I’m fine just shaken,” Andrew explained.

“I think we should call Jason to let him know we’re okay,” I said and Tim was at the door holding an old fashion rotary button dial phone, and plugged it in, making sure it was working.

“Thank you Tim,” I smiled and he bowed his head and left.

            I dialed the number and it run three times before Jason picked up.

“Violet?” He asked hopefully.

“Hey Jason it’s me, we are here safe and sound,” I said hearing Alex in the background asking who was on the phone.

“Alex wants to talk to you,” Jason said handing over the phone.

“Violet! How was your trip over?” Alex asked.

“It was long and tiring, how are you doing? Is Jason playing with you?” I asked.

“I’m good and Jason is being mean, he won’t play the games I want to play. I miss you and Andrew,” Alex whined.

“Hey don’t worry, we will be back in two weeks,” I promised.

“Hey Violet,” Jason said, “So what are you guys doing so far?”

“Just walking around, exploring, then dinner, so I will call next time I have anything important to report,” I said.

“Okay, be safe and have fun,” Jason said before hanging up.

“Let’s explore that sounds fun,” Andrew said perking up.

“It does, we need to know our surroundings,” I said.

“Remember you’re surrounded by Vampires,” Andrew said.

“And I can take care of myself,” I assured.

“Yes, but can you do that without making a scene?” Andrew asked and walked out of the room.

“I can,” I said following him.

            It took us about two hours to go through the whole castle because we kept getting lost. We didn’t go near Dacre’s section of the castle. We looked around for anything security related, but found nothing besides guards that made their rounds every couple hours. We then went back to our room and each showered and cleaned ourselves up for dinner. Andrew and I walked in and every seat was filled besides the two on each side of Dacre, who sat at the head of the table. Eric sat on the other side of me, and Tim sat on the other side of Andrew.

            Tim looked much different since the first time we met. Tim used to be weak and scared, and now he seemed confident and built. Waiters came in and placed old-fashioned glasses in front of all everyone besides me, who got a plate with food on it. Andrew looked into his cup, and I knew he was probably judging himself and not wanting to drink. Dacre noticed Andrew’s behavior. Andrew caught Dacre looking at him, and Andrew took a sip and Dacre smiled and drank from his own cup.

“Interesting. Andrew what kind of blood do you drink?” Dacre asked.

“Human blood, but from blood bags. This blood is warm, it’s different,” Andrew commented.

“Violet how do you feel about being surrounded by Vampires?” Dacre questioned.

“It is normal for me, I don’t feel threatened by a Vampire unless I see their red eyes filled with hunger,” I said.

“Andrew, I hear you have mutations, and I heard that you’ve been having dreams for five years about me? We will talk about that later, but would you give me the honor of showing me your ability?” Dacre asked.

            Andrew looked to me and then closed his eyes and fog appeared at our feet and slowly spread throughout the room and Dacre smiled revealing his fangs.

“Wonderful. Do you know that Dracula could appear as mist and shape shift into a wolf or bat? He could also hypnotize humans. I have all of Dracula’s abilities besides hypnotizing humans,” Dacre said.

“That is interesting,” Andrew commented.

“All Vampires get some traits from Dracula. No Vampire casts a shadow. Though evolution has happened. We now have super speed and have extraordinary hearing and strength. Dracula was an amazing mentor to me, I only hope that I’ve ruled the Vampires the best I can,” Dacre explained, “Tim will be taking you two out to town tomorrow and show you around.”

“That sounds fun,” I smiled.

            Once dinner was over Andrew and I went straight back to our room and the energy was tense. Dacre was doing his best to put on a good game face, but under it was a ruthless killer. I could see, in his body language, how hard it was for him to not attack me.

“You okay?” Andrew asked interrupting my thoughts.

“Yeah, just on edge,” I replied.

“Well, I think we should try to get some sleep,” Andrew said and turned out the lights.