Chapter 18 (edited)

Pulling into the driveway I waved to Luke.

“Don’t worry, Jason won’t kill you. He will be relieved to see you,” Luke assured.

            Walking through the door Jason saw me and ran to me, hugging me. I hugged him back.

“You scared me,” Jason said pulling out of the hug.

“I can take care of myself,” I smiled.

“Where did you go?” Jason asked.

“I had to see an old friend,” I said.

“You look exhausted and upset,” Jason noticed.

“I just need to nap,” I said.

“I will have dinner ready when you wake up,” Jason promised.

            I went upstairs and fell onto my bed and fell asleep thinking about Greg.

I was in Florida with Greg, Vince, and Jesse. We were at school and Greg sat with me looking serious.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“My parents got a divorce. What’s worse is the woman my father cheated with five years ago wasn’t a random girl. That was his old girlfriend from college, and they had a child together. My father’s other son is a year older than us. He is eighteen and reminds me of me, but more intense and it bugs me. Was I not good enough for my father? Was my mom not good enough for my father to stay?” Greg asked.

            I awoke to someone knocking on my door.

“I had the chef prepare some chicken noodle soup, you know, comfort food since you seemed a bit down,” Jason smiled.

“Oh, thank you,” I smiled and got up wanting to shake that dream.

            Jason sat down at the kitchen table. I grabbed some water and sat down next to him as the chef served me some food.

“So how was being alone after your pitiful attempt at hunting?” I asked.

“Funny, I had to get stitches because of you!” Jason exclaimed.

“You’ve never killed a Vampire before,” I challenged.

“Fine, I haven’t. The one time I did go hunting, I was scared as hell. Vlad did all the work,” Jason admitted.

            The rest of break I did my schoolwork, and didn’t even think about Christmas. Jason decorated the house though. When Christmas day came, I didn’t expect any presents. Vlad didn’t come home. When I awoke, I went downstairs and Jason was sitting in the living room with a huge grin on his face. I walked in and smiled.

“Merry Christmas!” Jason beamed.

“Merry Christmas,” I responded not as enthusiastically.

“Well, look under the tree,” Jason smiled.

            I looked at him skeptically and bent down and there were presents under the tree and they were for me.

“What?” I asked looking at him shocked.

“Just because you ran off for a vacation doesn’t mean you are a bad kid,” Jason smiled.

“Thank you,” I said.

            The only presents I got for Christmas were slaying equipment and maybe a piece of jewelry. As I opened each gift I was shocked and happy. Jason got me three dresses, new shirts and pants, some DVD’s and a Nikon D7200.