Chapter 103 (Bravo)

Chapter103 (Bravo)

                   Introducing Ross Noble and Senator Sep Fields (Continued)

Noble gave out a toneless whistle in surprise and Fields shifted around to face his guest.

"Only horses able to trot or pace a standard timed distance of one mile and their progeny can be entered into the Standard Breed studbook. All Standard Bred horses are supposed to be descendants of one stallion – 'Hambletonian'. It all started in 1785 when 'Messenger', a grey Thoroughbred was brought over to the US by Henry Astor – brother of John Jacob. Messenger was the founding sire of the studbook and started the whole thing off. 'Hambletonian' was the great-grandson of 'Messenger.'

Noble's brow creased in uncertainty. "Standard Bred horses are these not Thoroughbreds?"

"No sir, they are not. Standard bred horses have shorter legs and longer bodies than T'breds and are generally more placid than their neurotic T'bred cousins due to the historical admixture of bloodlines between T'breds and this breed. The studbook is in its infancy still, but all Standard bred horses are supposed to be descendants from four of 'Hambletonian's' ten sons."

Noble exhaled. "I never heard that before. I also didn't know there were two gaits as you call 'em. What's the difference between Trotting and Pacing?"

"Just a second." Fields placed his cigar in the ashtray and his brandy goblet on the table, freeing his hands to illustrate his points. "There are two gaits, the object is to go as fast as possible without breaking stride. In Trotting the legs move forwards in diagonal pairs, striking the ground simultaneously. In pacing the legs move laterally."

Noble nodded his understanding. "Is that why you fit the horses with those hobbles, to contain them in their stride."

"No sir, no sir, not at all! The hobbles or straps you refer to do not create the gait. That is a popular misunderstanding. Pacers mostly wear hobbles connecting the front and rear legs on each side. The pace is natural for most horses and the hobbles support the gait, they do not force it on the horse."

"I take it it's the same for Trotters."

"Can be. Hobbles're getting more popular with trotters. They fit the straps to the front and back legs diagonally."

Noble smiled. "I thank you for that explanation Sep, I'll have a better understanding of what is going on when I watch 'Harlequin' run for you tomorrow. What I cain't fathom out is your wish to give up Capitol Hill for breeding horses."

Fields slapped his thigh. "I came into mainstream politics when Nixon ruled the White House. For forty-two years I've been on the Capitol Hill base facing the pitcher and mostly beating the catcher. I've done my bit and it's time to hand over to somebody else. We don't know how much time the Good Lord will give us and I want to spend what time I have left away from DC. I owe it to Sybil, she hates the place, always did. Let me get you a refill for that glass."

Noble made small talk while Fields replenished their glasses.

"You sure have built yourselves a nice place here Sep."

"We bought it as a working ranch and decided to knock down the ranchhouse and start out with a blank sheet of paper, designing the place we wanted." Fields put his hand to his lips and chuckled. "Darn thing was after a whole weekend of working on that piece of paper we ended up with one big rectangle. So what we did was designed in the mansard roofs, rearranged the windows, put up some balustrades, cornices and iron work, added on the Palladian entrance pavilion. Whoa Silver! Our rectangular box  became a French Second Empire style mansion and we just love it here."