Part Twenty-Five: An Electrician in Whitewater

Timeline: Evening, Thursday 19th April. Greg and Jess have just made their presentation to sell an aircon unit to MacKendrick's store and obtained a promise to take the item providing they find an electrician to fit it at a reasonable price. Story continues with their return to the motel after the sales meeting.

Greg watched Jess with delight as the boy skipped along the verandah decking back to Greg's chalet. Jess was  in a high state of euphoria after the meeting with MacKendrick  and waved his arms in the air,  calling out, "I did it, I did it," over and over again.

Greg followed behind him in a more sedate, but no less euphoric state of jubilation.  After his own lack-lustre meeting with MacKendrick earlier in the day, he could not believe the evening rendezvous had gone as well as it had.  He knew it had all been down to Jess. He had handled the encounter brilliantly; as if he was already an accomplished salesman. Greg was amazed by the boy's performance and self-confidence.  He had said all the right things at precisely the right moments to build trust with the sceptical storekeeper and a successful outcome would result- if they could find an electrician. 

Jess bounced up and down on the spot while Greg unlocked the door to let the two of them inside the chalet; tossing the keys onto the table by the door he quickly stood to one side to let Jess rush past him  to work off his exhilaration with jumps and pirouettes in front of the sofa, still chanting 'I did it, I did it.'

Greg smiled; a warm glow rising inside him as he stood to watch the boy for a moment.  Jess saw Greg watching him and stopped cavorting around the room. He walked over to Greg with shining eyes, his mouth gaping open in wonder.

'I did it Greg, I did it,' he spoke in almost a whisper, as if doubting his success. Greg smiled proudly and shook his head in disbelief.

'You certainly did, where the hell did you find just the right things to say at exactly the right moments'?

Jess did not reply, instead he threw his arms around Greg and began yelling like a dervish, jumping up and down on the spot. His joy was infectious and Greg fell under  the spell and did exactly the same. Together they hugged, jumped and screamed for several seconds, like fans at a football match, before Greg's professionalism kicked in.  He broke away from the hug, took out his handkerchief, wiped his face and said, 'It was really great, but it's not over yet. The deal's not done until the money's in the bank. We have to find an electrician.  Who is this guy you said you know who can do the job?  Without him we're sunk.'

Jess came down from his high, blowing air noisily from his puffed cheeks.  Greg watched the boy's stomach heave and contract while he waited for Jess to get a hold on himself.  Jess inhaled through his nose, held his breath for a short while, then with a large puff of exhalation said.

'His name's Mr. Ali. He lives in Whitewater. I did some baby-sitting for him and his wife a couple of times when they had to go to  pre-school meetings or something.'

 Jess saw that Greg looked dubious and explained 'and I've been there delivering  boxes to them from the food bank...'

'Food Bank.' Greg almost exploded, his eyebrows seemed to rise to the top of his forehead. 'What Food Bank? With the money electricians make these days they should be contributing to food banks, not making withdrawals.' 

Greg was shocked. He was more than a little disappointed since he now doubted Jess had found the man they needed for this job.  The boy came right back, punching Greg lightly on the arm.

'That's just it,' Jess protested, 'Mr. Ali can't get work.  It's not for the want of him trying. Nobody around here'll give him a job. He's fully qualified. He rewired the condo where he lives for his landlord all by himself. It's still all working OK. Nobody got fried yet.'