Part Eight: Jess's Increasing Dilemma and Greg's Doubts!

Part Eight: 

Greg was feeling a mixture of emotions as he drove the long, straight dusty road back to Bamptonville. He pulled the visor around to shield his eyes from the sun’s sideways glare and gripped the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles stood out as white bony mounds.

He was glad to be active again and in doing something worthwhile found himself feeling excited about having Jess work with him, but underlying these positive feelings were fears and doubts about the tyre incident.  It was a direct threat that he had to deal with, but where to start?

‘Who would do such a thing?  Whose toes am I treading on here?  Who is it that doesn’t want me getting friendly with Jess.’

He thought deeply about this. ‘Could it  be Melissa?  The Youths he’d seen?  Jess’s own school mates?  Who?’

‘Who knew he was going to Larksville that afternoon? Whom had he told?

Greg drove mechanically while he thought about these things and made a speedier journey than he intended.  He hadn’t noticed he was approaching the first of the chicken sheds or the police car that was heading the other way until it swung in behind him and sounded its siren. 

He pulled over and watched in his rear view mirror as the Sherriff heaved himself out of the police car and walked towards him clutching a paper.

Greg sat still with his hands on the wheel.  In Florida, he remembered being advised that was the thing to do when pulled over. The Sherriff indicated Greg should wind down his window and then poked his stubbly chin through into the car.

‘No harm done to you then?  Bad place to have a blow-out.  Is the car badly damaged?’

The question surprised and alarmed Greg as his mind raised the question ‘How the hell did he know about that?’ 

Greg felt sick at the thought the Sherriff could be somehow involved, but decided to play along and treat the matter as casually as he could.

‘I was lucky, no harm done to me or the car.’  The lawman’s eyes stayed fixed on him, wanting more. Greg swallowed and lightly waved his hand in the air.

‘Hertz think it’s a faulty tyre.  Sometimes happens, they said.’

The Sherriff appeared satisfied and smiled as he nodded and passed a sheet of folded paper through the window.

‘This came for you an hour ago.  Looks important. Thought I’d ride out to meet you coming back.’

‘Thank you Sheriff that’s nice of you.’

Greg took the paper and ran his eyes swiftly over the page.  It was from Dean Halburton in Boston.

Greg,

If you told the INS when you arrived you’re here for business and pleasure you’re legal on your B1/B2 visa.  IF you didn’t then hotfoot it to Canada or Mexico for the next weekend and tell them that when you come back in on the following Monday. 

BUT!   Don’t start anything big without consulting me and Bill Elbury. BTW  I’ve talked with Elbury.

2. I’ve also talked to Wayne Fisher in Florida. His business is growing and he’s making bio-diesel plants for sale.  For some reason he’s grateful to you. Maybe it’s to do with you putting up the capital and support to give him a start (Ha! Ha!).  He’s also concerned about the amount of your money he has growing in his accounts. (This must be a bad habit of yours). He’ll help you all he can. Call him!