Part Forty-Nine : More Surprises for Greg

Timeline: 09 :10, Friday 20th April :: Ma Tooley’s Pancakes.

Greg turned his back to the pair sitting at the table and, rising, walked to the far wall of the diner in an attempt to avoid being overheard, pressing his cell phone harder to his ear.

“Sorry to keep you waiting Bill, thanks for your call.”

Bill Elbury laughed, which Greg found disconcerting. “What’s funny Bill?’

The amused, rich tones of the accountant came straight back.

“ I just wanted to check you’re still around and not been run out of town.” 

“Is this a joke Bill, I’m in no mood for jokes.”

‘No jokes my man, I had a call from Flik Donovan about you this morning.”

Greg’s lips turned down in distaste at the mention of the Sheriff.

‘”Why? Why’d he call you about me?”

“Just hang on Greg, while I get this on the speaker phone. Jennifer’s here and she’d like to say hello. … There that’s better.”

Through the background echo of the speaker phone Greg heard Jennifer’s voice addressing him.  Cultured. Friendly. Excited. It cheered him.

“ Hi Greg, thank you so much for the flowers. They are so beautiful and so many of them. I have them in my lounge and their scent has travelled all through the apartment. It’s so lovely to come home to.”

Greg smiled and felt a glow inside. He liked this lady.

“That’s my pleasure Jennifer. We’ll have to arrange that dinner we talked about...”

“That could be nice.”

They were interrupted by Bill ‘s voice shouting in the background. “That’s if he’s not in jail by noon today.”

The interruption irked Greg. The intimate moment he was enjoying in close company with Jennifer was lost.

‘You still there Jennifer?’

‘I’m still here Greg.”

“I’ll be in Larksville during next week, let’s fix something up when the Elbury apes are back in their cage.”

‘Let’s do that Greg, See You!’ Jennifer was laughing, but not as loud or for as long as Bill Elbury. When the laughter died away Greg asked.

“Bill, you were telling me why Donovan phoned.”

“Was I now? Are you sure you want me to say while Jennifer’s here.”

‘Yes of course,” Greg replied irritated at Bill’s flippancy. “I’ve nothing to hide from Jennifer.” Greg heard Bill sucking air, unsure if he was still joking, but a mischievous lilt stayed in his voice when he spoke.

“That’s good Greg, very good, because Flik called to ask me how well I knew you. Not in business mind, but in your personal habits.”

“ My personal habits!  what the hell…”

“ It seems someone saw you in bed with your young man last night and...’

“Bill, Bill Stop! Stop this nonsense. It is not true and I don’t want Jennifer hearing this stuff. Someone’s out to get me for some reason and spreading that rumour around town today. Stop it. Please.”

“OK Greg, but why would anybody spread a rumour like that if there was no truth behind it - no pun intended?”

Greg could not see that Bill had covered his mouth with his hand to hide his laughter and took the accountant seriously.