Part Ninety-Six (Delta)

Dedication: This chapter is dedicated to the prodigious Angela Stevens whose latest novel, 'An Unbreakable Will'  is presently on pre-order on Amazon for release on 4th April. Angela and fellow author Mandy Thomas are jointly hosting a release party. Not to be missed. Details below. Mandy is releasing her second novel- Hard to Feel Free. I have read both books and recommend them as exciting and entertaining reads.

Find out more and pick up some goodies by joining the party. See you there!

An Unbreakable Will is the 3rd part of her werewolf/skinwalker trilogy with a Native American theme.
Saturday April 4th -4pm EDT-USA: 8pm BST-UK: and April 5th 6am EDST Aus
https://www.facebook.com/events/1479414795647177/1479456868976303/

                                               *  *  *

CHAPTER NINETY-SIX (DELTA)

Reconciliation and Resolve (Contd.)

“That’s one God awful story to listen to Greg. I am so sorry it happened like that for you and I can see now how you thought it was happening again when you reckoned I went back on my word to you...”

“You did go back on your word,” Greg snapped, “ but that has nothing to do with this.” He flicked his fingers dismissively in front of his face; the jaw line set firm as he continued with his explanation. “It might have been fate itself that brought Jess and me together the day I knocked him down in the street.”

“How come, I don’t get it?” Wayne interrupted. 

Greg Shrugged. “It was his character, and his integrity shining out through his own hardship as he lay hurt in the road that made me question what my life had been, and what it had been for up to then; ...and what would be its purpose going forwards? ...All I saw ahead of me was emptiness in the shape of a big, Greg shaped, black hole that got deeper and deeper and never let me out.”

“You had me and Fishers. Come on now Greg, you were still in shock after what happened to you. It only looked that way. You weren’t really all alone in the world.” 

“Maybe I was and maybe I wasn’t. At the time it sure looked that way. I found out about the boy’s need for cash to settle a school bill. You know, he could’ve taken me for as much cash as he needed, and maybe more besides. He even had the investigating lawman as a witness on his side. Do you know what he said  when I suggested he file a claim on me to settle his debt?”

Wayne shook his head. “Nah, what’d he say?”

A broad grin crossed Greg’s face. “He said, ‘Nah. It was as much my fault as yours. I don’t want to take you for your money mister’. That’s what he said to me and in that instant something happened, deep inside me something happened to change me. I had been usurped and betrayed by people who had plenty of everything – money, prestige, power - and here I was faced with character and integrity in someone who had nothing, except an urgent need for money to get by; and he turned it down because it wasn’t the right thing to do.”

“I don’t see how that could change anybody, it’s just one of them things you come across.  What exactly was it that happened to you?” Wayne’s brow knitted in confusion. Greg chuckled and flicked his fingertips good-naturedly against his friend’s arm.

“What happened to me was I changed because I had found my purpose – what I wanted to do with my life. I might have lost my wife, home and business, but I still had my health and abilities. It came to me in a flash. ‘I can use my talents to help others. I can help people get back on their feet who’ve been dealt a bad hand by fate or society’.” The rise in Greg’s voice and the increased rate of his speech revealed his enthusiasm for his new vocation.