Part Eight-Three : A Pivotal Point for Greg!

• Dedicated to Willie Nelson

Dedication: This chapter is dedicated to Country Music star Willie Nelson for his untiring support for alternative energy sources and his charitable works in support of the American family farmer. Thanks to @mizzbliz for the heads-up on Willie Nelson's good works. Go Willie Go!

                                                                         *     *     *

A/N: To Bring you up to date!

Wayne Fisher had arrived at Lincoln Airport prepared to find some changes in the fiery, take-no-prisoners, businessman that had given him his start two years ago. 

Infrequent talks on the telephone over the past week with Dean Halburton and Bill Elbury had left Wayne with a suspicion that Greg had changed. He was now worried that the man he had known and worshipped as a hero might no longer be the same person who would meet him outside the arrival lounge. 

Wayne’s negative doubts strengthened following their reunion outside the airport and by the time they had been on the road together for an hour, small, yet significant facts confirmed to Wayne’s distress and exasperation that Greg was indeed no longer the man he remembered. Wayne badly needed the old Greg to drive forwards his future plans for Fisher’s after the IPO and had planned to offer him the position of Chief Executive in the newly listed company. 

When Greg carelessly revealed his past association at sea with Graham during their conversation, Wayne knew for certain that the old, meticulously careful and precise Greg was not riding with him in the cab that day. Wayne decided to go through with the planned weekend, without revealing his ultimate goals for Fisher’s beyond the IPO or his growing conviction that he would need to source another candidate for Chief Exec. The atmosphere between the two men worsened on the drive as Wayne’s doubts hardened. 

But first things first; Fisher’s contracts with Greg were holding back the company’s placement and he needed to obtain Greg’s agreement to make the necessary changes. He insisted on pulling off the road to discuss these and other personal matters at the Pawnee Lodge Motel. Greg became irritable, insisting on getting back to Bamptonville where Jess would be waiting for him. 

Wayne knew about Jess from his previous talks with Greg and Elbury and wondered if this boy was the key to the apparent change in Greg. Wayne could not understand why Greg would want to lock himself away in a US backwater and waste his talents on Ma and Pa businesses. The idea that this boy might be seducing Greg and causing his distraction was one solution that rang true with Wayne. Over coffee he took Greg to task and was further dismayed when, instead of fighting back, Greg drooped with uncertainty, accepting everything Wayne said or suggested without any remonstrance or demur. 

A call came through to Greg from Bill Elbury concerning the planned potato deal with Cyrus Polder.  With increasing relief, excitement and wonder Wayne listened to one side of a telephone conversation and witnessed the old Greg come out of the sad shell of the person sat across the table from him - a businessman who was bigger, louder and more decisive than the Greg he had witnessed when first they had met. 

Immediately following the call, Greg verbally tore into Wayne, establishing beyond doubt that he was still the master and had lost none of his acumen for negotiating business.  

Wayne’s eyes now filled with joy, his hero had returned to stand as tall and solid as a mountain once more. This man could certainly fill the role of the Chief Executive he needed and more besides. 

We left them walking from the grassy knoll outside the Pawnee Lodge diner to the car park, about to resume the journey to Bamptonville. Now read on:-