Part Ninety-Two (charlie): A Faustian Moment.

Dedication:  This chapter is dedicated to all Wattpad authors who have taken their works further and self-published them on Amazon and elsewhere. In particular to Angela Stevens. We came to Wattpad about the same time and it has been a joy for me to not only read her works here, but to watch her growth and maturity as an author. She has now self-published her first romantic novel 'Lemon Drops and Love'. If, like me, you wish to give something back to those authors whose work we have enjoyed and who have since self-publshed their works, please consider putting a review on Amazon, Goodreads and elsewhere to encourage other readers to buy their books and the authors to write more.

These reviews  by readers are the only way these works will find the larger audience they all deserve.  Why not check out the profile pages of your favourite Wattpad authors to check if they have published and then post a review? They will all greatly appreciate you doing so. Thanks.

                                           *   *    *

Part Ninety-Two (Charlie)

  A/N: This chapter rejoins Greg and Wayne in telephone conversation with lawyer Dean Halburton who is hammering away to settle the gaping differences that have emerged between Greg and Wayne. It follows on directly from the previous chapter. Now read on:

  Greg felt the strength of certainty and anger oozing out of him like engine oil from a perforated sump, leaving him drained and bewildered. 

  “I don’t accept that Dean. I am myself, the same self you have always known. I haven’t changed. I am whole and ready to work on this project. What makes you think I’m not, just because I want to do something for a few people down on their luck?”

  His words sounded doubtful and unconvincing even to his own ears; Dean came back strongly. “That’s all very laudable, but it’s the distractions that they will bring, along with the amount of your time and yourself they will consume that’s the problem. You’ll not be able to walk away from them to devote yourself entirely to the Fisher project, will you?”

  “I can’t Dean. I’ve given them my word, but if I knew everything I ought to know about the Fisher project and its ongoing derivatives, I could easily make arrangements to serve out my commitments to these people without me having to oversee everything in person.”

  “Hmmm! That would remove the shadow they cast over your commitment to Fishers.  I think the major obstacle here is the business you are setting up to fund a scholarship of sorts. Just to confirm, would your arrangements include any provisions for that boy you plan to foster?”

  “No! . . . Some, . . . but not entirely; I would want some personal involvement with Jess going forwards.”  Greg sensed the reason behind Dean’s lengthy pause that followed and rushed to dispel his likely misconception “But it’s not for what you and everybody else seem to be thinking. I’m teaching him salesmanship. It needs a one on one approach. An hour or two a week, that’s all I’ll need. Let’s call it part of my ‘work to life balance' hobby.’ . . . I do plan to have a life outside of work and Fishers you know.”

  “Yes, yes, but my understanding is that this whole enterprise is too big and tenuous an undertaking to take that chance with you currently until Wayne is sure of your absolute commitment. I suggest you get this matter settled between you as a first priority.”

  Greg scratched the top of his head vigorously with his fingernails in sheer frustration. “Dean I am confused, because I don’t know what you, Wayne and Elbury knows and I’m getting just a tad pissed off about it. Do Goldman’s know about this development?’

  “Good Lord No, it has nothing whatever to do with them, or the IPO.”

  Greg chuckled. “It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who’s in the dark about this. I was beginning to think I was. What about Goldman’s projections, will they even accept me as CEO of Fisher’s for when they take it to market?”