Part Thirty-Two: Upset for Greg and The Principal

Timeline: late Thursday Night, College Principal Dr. Armstrong has just received an anonymous phone call accusing Jess of misdeeds with Greg at the Melody Inn. Meanwhile  Greg and Jess are taking dinner at Harry's Place.

 Chuck Armstrong nibbled his finger-nails nervously as he paced the few steps between the walls of his study struggling to come to a decision. His mind raced with questions and possibilities that changed with each step he took. He stood still for a moment and spoke out loud just to hear a solid voice.

  ‘This will not go away. Who was that caller, he sounded familiar? Who else knows? Is it true? I’ll wait and ask Jess White. No, that’s no good, other people already know  - I have to do something now.’

  He had resisted doing what he knew he eventually must  for as long as possible, but then, with a long sigh of resignation, sat at his desk, looked up the number for the Melody Inn and punched it into his telephone keypad.  When it was ringing he had second thoughts once more and was about to put down the receiver when Wes Chandler’s drawl came into his ear. ‘Melody Inn. How can I help?’

  Armstrong ran his finger tips across his forehead and swallowed deeply. It was too late to back out now. He was committed to the call.

  ‘Wes? Wes Chandler? This is Chuck Armstrong.’

  ‘Well Hi Mr. Principal I was just thinking about you and if I should call you, but the Sherriff’s office told me to do nothing.’ Armstrong shuddered and the lump in his gut felt heavier.

  ‘So it’s true then, what I just heard about Jess White tonight at the Melody Inn.’

  ‘How’d you get to know Dr. Armstrong? Who told you, it wasn’t me, nobody can say t’was me now?  I ain’t supposed to say nothing Mr. Principal, Sherriff’s office said, but if what you are asking me is if it’s the same thing as what I saw tonight with my own two eyes through the gap in the blind then, yes Sir, it’s true.’

  Armstrong sighed deeply his fears were confirmed. He felt strangely more relaxed and in command of himself now the uncertainty was removed and began to take control of the situation. 

  ‘We have to keep the lid on this Mr. Chandler. I’ll be investigating and taking action tomorrow. I’ll be obliged meanwhile if you’ll do what the Sherriff has asked you and say nothing to anybody about this. Did you call me earlier by any chance with this news.’

  ‘No Sir, not me, I only told the Sherriff’s office and when they ask you I’d be obliged if you would tell them I told you nothing.’

  ‘Yes, of course Mr. Chandler, you can rely on my discretion, but it would help me if you could tell me what it was you saw and if the light was poor and perhaps it was dark inside the room? Is there any chance you could have been mistaken?’

  ‘There was no mistake Sir, I saw what I saw in the full light of day. Your boy was lying naked, face down on the bed and the Brit was rubbing grease into his butt. That’s what I saw Sir as God is my judge.’

  ‘Thank you Mr. Chandler,’ Armstrong almost whimpered his thanks and slowly replaced the receiver to sit at his desk to think through what he had been told. He had to decide now on what action he should take. He pushed away the cocoa, he no longer had the taste for it ‘And what I have to do won’t wait longer than tomorrow.’ He spoke to himself while his mind raced on to consider the likely repercussions for the College, and also for himself.

                                                                         *   *   *

  Greg sat silent and still at the table in Harry’s. He lowered his face and glared at the table cloth in front of him which hid his fierce expression. He seethed inwardly at the mayor’s stupidity in talking about his private plans and for assuming he would follow the man’s advice by employing the rednecks without any prior discussion.  He pressed his lips hard together and fought back the anger that was building inside him.  This revelation had put a dampener on the day.  Jess could see that Greg was upset and looked on quietly with concern as Greg deliberated.  After a short while, the silence became unbearable and Jess asked with wide-eyed innocence.