Part Forty-Eight : Fawley Raises Concerns

Timeline: 0857, Friday 20th April : Sheriff Donovan’s Office.

“ Thanks Tod,” Donovan smiled and spoke with an affability he did not feel as he carefully took the ‘Harry’s Place’ paper coffee cup from Tod Mecklen.

The man stood in front of the Sheriff’s desk, his mouth formed into a tight line.

Ashamed. 

Guilty. 

Like a child expecting a rebuke.

Donovan raised his bushy eyebrows and squinted at the clerk.

‘Was there somethin’ else Tod?’ Mecklen started in surprise at the Sheriff’s question and shifted uneasily from one foot to another. 

“I just thought you might be wanting to talk to me. That’s all Sheriff?”

Donovan blew out air from his lips and shook his head, feigning ignorance. “About what Tod?”

The man looked instantly relieved and relaxed. “Oh I just thought the way you called me, there was something else that’s all. If not I’ll get on with that traffic violations analysis. Officer Bronsky’s been busy in the last quarter.”

The telephone began ringing as Donovan replied

“ You do that Tod, I’ve got nothing else for you. Excuse me now, I need to take this call.”

Donovan picked up the receiver, but waited until Mecklen had closed the office door behind him before he spoke.

“Sheriff Donovan.”

“Flik, it’s Bill Courtley, do you know when Ross will be back from Omaha, I need to talk to him.”

“I do believe he’ll be back Sunday afternoon sometimes. He told me before he left to come over about four or thereabouts to bring him up to date on what’s happened while he’s been away. I can tell from your voice you’re riled about something Bill.  Is there anything I can do?’

Donovan heard Courtley’s sigh. “I don’t think so Flik, this is one for Ross and the rest of us too. It’s Fawley getting out of line again.”

Donovan chuckled, pushed back his chair to place his booted feet on his desk.

“You mean his station as an outsider looking in. Don’t you?” Donovan laughed heartily. “You gotta tell me Bill, that guy’s better’n Hollywood for entertainment. What’s he up to now?”

“Same as before, but he’s moving on it.”

Donovan took his feet off the desk and sat forwards to listen seriously. “Is that a fact? Go on Bill. Tell me more.”

“You know he’s got this plan to build a big processing plant on the West side of his property, but he needs access to the I-80 through Whitewater and the only way in for him is through Abie Gollancz’s condo.”

“That’s an old pipe dream of his Bill, anyway there’re families living in there, ain’t that so?”

“Sure, but it don’t matter to Fawley, he’s got Walt Kempster going over there now to try to buy ‘em out to get the place empty. I’ve had Walt on the phone this morning. Fawley wants to buy that place, knock it down and put in a road so he can build.”

“How big did you say he say he was planning to go?”

“Two million birds a month, he’s supposed to have gotten contracts with a German supermarket chain opening across the US. Quite a few of the small farmers round about here have signed up to go in with him. They think they can grow with him as he comes up to capacity and the chain opens new stores around the country.”