Part Thirty-Three : Melissa Falls For Felix's Ploy.

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to AngelaStevens562. Angela is a stalwart supporter of The Cousins and occasionally puts me right when I get things American wrong. Angela is also the author of a grown up romance and thriller story- Lemon Drops and Love. Romance is not a genre I read usually, but  thoroughly recommend  Lemon Drops and Love - it's awesome!

                                                          *     *     *

Timeline: Late Thursday evening. Felix has sent Kyler to find Melissa and fire her up about the motel clerk's claims of Greg and Jess's doings that night. Jess and Greg are saying good night at Harry's Place. Greg's anger on learning of the mayor's stupidity in assuming he would employ the out of work bar-flies and telling them has spoiled his dinner.

                                                      *      *      *

After an hour of searching for Melissa in her usual haunts and not finding her Kyler, Billie-Joe and Leon were becoming short tempered with each other.

  ‘She must be out with Danny…’ Leon’s suggestion irritated Kyler who cut him short curtly.

  ‘Don’t be stupid, his car’s in the College lot. She’s around town somewhere.’

  ‘But we’ve looked everywhere. Let’s leave it until tomorrow...’

  ‘NO! Kyler roared, pushing his face angrily into Billie-Joe’s and snapping.

  ‘Felix said do it tonight so we do it tonight. Right.?  We go back and look everywhere again.’

  “How long do we keep that up for,’ Leon added emphasis to his boredom with an exaggerated yawn.

  Kyler became almost hysterical and screamed at them. ‘Until we find her, that’s how long.’   The two exclaimed in surprise.

  ‘OK, keep your hair on … ’

  ’What’s eating you tonight?”

  They set off along Main Street looking once more into all of the likely places where Melissa might be. They found her after twenty minutes of half-hearted searching  in the Fryway Burger joint with her boyfriend, Danny.  The seating area of the Fryway was laid out with semi-circular booths and benches around a table on each of the long sides with a central walkway. At the far end on the main door side there was a space where the booths ended leaving a space big enough for a table for two.  It made a cosy spot out of sight of the main restaurant that was popular with couples wanting a little more privacy than the main booths offered.

  Danny and Melissa were sat like dummies looking straight ahead into space.  They were not speaking or holding hands when Kyler spotted them.  He guessed they were going through one of their regular disagreements. Kyler surmised that Danny was feeling horny and Melissa was keeping him strictly rationed; never on Sunday’s or certain Saints days.  He guessed Danny ‘s pleas for ‘nookie’ tonight  were not getting him  anywhere.  Kyler didn’t know why the guy put up with all of her religious nonsense and smirked to himself as he walked across to their table to interrupt their stand-off.

  ‘Hi Melisssa. Danny,’ Kyler forced a sickly smile.

  ‘What do you want,’ Danny growled moodily in response, smashing the flat of his hand noisily on the table to crush a fly that was dabbing its proboscis in a small pool of spilled cola.  Kyler watched the insect fly away unharmed from the side of Danny’s hand and he smiled as he spoke.

  ‘I need a word with Melissa.’

  ‘Fuck off.’

  Melissa slapped her hand on Danny’s forearm.